Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

kids

Old 09-27-2004, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default kids

I am an avid hunter bow and rifle and my kids want nothing to do with hunting. I have 2 boys one is sixteen,he's been with me several times he even managed to take a spike and a javeline but it barely even got his emotions up. I have to force him to go with me. My 8 tear old boy is the same way I have to force him to even practice with his bow. the 16 year old would rather skateboard and the 8 year old would rather watch damn cartoons. My brother in law is an avid fisherman and his 2 boys (my nephews) wont have anything to do with fishing, one of them is actually allergic to fish, LOL go figure. What is it ? is it that hunter gatherer is just not in them or what.
Old 09-27-2004, 07:47 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: kids

Take away the video games?
Old 09-27-2004, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

If the kids don't have the desire to hunt then forcing them to do it is only going to push them away further. No kid likes to be forced to do something. I grew up in a family of hunters. We were forced to do things like chores or homework but hunting was always our choice. Out of 3 boys I turned out to be the only life-long hunter.
Old 09-27-2004, 08:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have to force him to go with me
Why would you force a kid to go hunting? Just because you love it doesn't mean your kids will.
Old 09-27-2004, 08:54 AM

I've been hunting since I was 10 years old (now 26) and there have been times when hunting took the back burner to football(in highschool) as well as girls and cars. As they mature through their teen years they may come back to the sport. If they were never really into it that may not be the case.

I hope that I do not experience the same thing as you. I've got a 2 year old who knows just about every type of biggame animal indiginous the the contentional United States. I only hope when he's of age that he takes daddys lead and picks up a bow. I often take him out in the woods in his backpack and he scoutes with me and also goes for hikes. IMO my best bet is to instill a love and respect for the outdoors. I hope if he get enough of it while he's young it will spawn into a lifetime of enjoying the wild.

With that said I'm the last of the gang I use to hunt with in highschool who still hunts. It seems everyone is too damn busy[:'(]

If my kid starts acting up at 16 he's likely to find himself on a buss ride with me to Ga. I've always wanted to hike the entire AT and I can think no better way to straighten out a 16 yearold then by making them walk 2200 miles to get home He'll never know what hit him
Old 09-27-2004, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've been hunting since I was 10 years old (now 26) and there have been times when hunting took the back burner to football(in highschool) as well as girls and cars.
same here, it kept me outta trouble, instead of going out on weekends and drinking and fighting i was in bed by 9pm so i could get up early and go hunting. Its something they have to love, dont make em go
Old 09-27-2004, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Why would you force a kid to go hunting? Just because you love it doesn't mean your kids will.
severals reason why I do, one if you dont try something how do you know you dont like it ? Two, this is our time together with nobody around no friends, no mom, just me and my kids, one on one. Know what I mean ?
Old 09-27-2004, 11:34 AM

Make it funner after taking them hunting or whatever take them out for food they will love that or have them join a jegue so they could hang out with people there own age while shooting. Remember incentive to hunt not force.
Old 09-27-2004, 11:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

Make it funner after taking them hunting or whatever take them out for food they will love that or have them join a jegue so they could hang out with people there own age while shooting. Remember incentive to hunt not force.
I agree 100%. No matter what, something fun has to happen when you take a kid hunting or fishing with you. I have 3 boys (10,8, and 2). The 8 and 10 year old absolutely love fishing and would go everyday of the week if possible. However, my 10 year old is the only one that shows interest in hunting. The 8 year old could care less if he ever walked in the woods. the 2 year old? well mom puts her foot down on that one (so far).
I try to make it as fun as possible for them. Show them signs, point out other animals, tell them about crops, tell them old war stories of you and your hunting buddies. Make him/her feel like they are part of a group.
It tears me up that my 8 year old isn't remotely interested in going with us. I've tried to make sure me and my 10 year old have a good story to tell when we get home so he can hear how much fun it can be and maybe spark some interest. I won't ever force him to go though. I'll just keep asking him and telling him about it hoping he'll want to someday.
When I am out in the woods with my 10 year old, I could really care less about getting a deer or really hunting hard for that matter. Let's face it, hunting for a kid may not be the most exciting thing for them. Have to find a way to make it fun. Step in a mudpuddle, pretend to lose your car keys, trip over a log, sit someplace where you'll see some deer, whatever you have to do to make each hunt have a story.
Old 09-27-2004, 12:23 PM

Z you cant force them it will only make them hate hunting more, if i was in your boots i think i would just let it drop dont ask them to go or force them to practice with there bows let them come to you and ask to go and if they truly are interested they will,, i understand your feelings over the time alone maybe you should try something they are interested in,, show them that dad can be as into there world as you want them to be in yours,, not tryin to rag on you z but these things happen hopefully at least 1 of your boys will get the bug best of luck to ya