Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What do you use as a backstop ,practicing >

What do you use as a backstop ,practicing

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What do you use as a backstop ,practicing

Old 09-25-2004, 09:51 PM
voz
Fork Horn

Default RE: What do you use as a backstop ,practicing

I have my target in my garage when I shoot(I shoot down my driveway, into my garage)...if I miss, I usually break something (my stuff of the arrow)....I can only add that I tend to really concentrate when I shoot. And as a plus, I never loose an arrow or risk hitting someone, or someone's stuff while shooting(I live in town).
Old 09-26-2004, 12:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

The ground is my backstop when I plow a muzzy right through the boiler room.

Other than that, my shed is my backstop.

Just try not to miss!
Old 09-26-2004, 01:14 AM

Don't use anything.

Fortunately, I live where I can just shoot of the back deck, and not worry about missing the target, which happens from time to time from greater distances in heavy winds. I also am very fortunate in that my black lab loves to watch me shoot, and can retrieve most of my misses.

The Trashcanman
Old 09-26-2004, 04:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a delta target but doesnt seem to be enough to stop my arrows usually go through up to the fletch, so behind the delta target i put a burlap sack full of tightly packed saw dust, behind that I have a 4'x 4' piece of 1/2" plywood with carpet draped over it incase I miss which doesnt happen to often but alot more then I would like.
Old 09-26-2004, 02:55 PM

I took a 24'' -24'' box stuffed full of cardboard in layers and if i miss that my shed will stop it and then i get closer . GOOD LUCK!!!
Old 09-27-2004, 07:21 AM

Here we go.... Go to wal mart and buy a plastic container fill it with an old comforter (or you could use your wife's favorite but don't blame me). Put a piece of card board over the front and spray paint a dot over it. Every hundred shots or so change out the card board. It will cost maybe $15 and it will stop hundreds of arrows safely. If the arrows start to hit the back of the container take out the comforter refold it and put it back. Then your ready for another couple hundred shots. Word of caution Muzzy Broadheads will pass straight through!!! Found this out the hard way. But field points stop quickly and safely. Good luck.
Old 09-27-2004, 07:22 AM

I'll try to post a picture of mine later tonight when I get home from work.
Old 09-27-2004, 07:41 AM
Fork Horn

I have a target that is about 2x2. I RARELY miss it even at 50 yards in the wind. However, I always make sure that there is a backstop. I use a sheet of plywood. I am not as concerned with damaging an arrow as I am with it hitting something it shouldn't......
Here's how I look at it: If I shot the arrow correctly and it was that far off, I don't care if it is destroyed as it is worthless anyway.
Old 09-27-2004, 10:25 AM
Dominant Buck

I use small children and/or the occasional Bald Eagle ...

I have a piece of carpet hanging over the fence behind my 3-D backed with a sheet of 1/4" luan plywood .
Old 09-28-2004, 12:57 AM

i have a box that is about 30" wide, about 5' tall and about 20" deep. i had it filled with a foam that we use at my work. it's kind of like the insulation foam in a can, but it's an industrial grade, 2 part mix. after trimming off the outer edges that are uneven, i have a 20" deep flat facing that arrows only sink about half way into, for several hundred shots. i keep flipping it around till there's not any good target areas left that will stop an arrow and when it's worn out, i'll dispose of it at work, and have another one made up. oh yeah, just a cheap burlap target with a pic of a buck for something to aim at. it wears out long before my backstop does.

Quick Reply: What do you use as a backstop ,practicing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.