Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Busted twice, What do you think? >

Busted twice, What do you think?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Busted twice, What do you think?

Old 09-20-2004, 01:46 PM

Default Busted twice, What do you think?

I have a stand that I've hunted twice. I was busted by a doe on the opener when I stood up to lower my bow just as the woods were getting pitch black. I guess I could have waited another 20 minutes but hind sight is 20/20. I went out Sunday moring and sat for about 4 hours. I saw no deer this time out but heard one snort out of sight. I thought I had picked this location pretty well. Opening night I saw 3 deer but now having been busted both time I got in this stand I'm thinking about pulling it down and moving it. I have a climber that I can hunt from too but like the conveience of a lock on stand.

What do you think? Pull it down and move it or just hunt more from the climber?

I'll add it's a pain in the a$$ to move the stand. I want to disturb the woods as little as possible. I guess this is my dilema.
Old 09-20-2004, 01:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Busted twice, What do you think?

Hunt from your climber, elsewhere for a couple weeks. Then, after the spot has cooled off, you can try that stand again.
Old 09-20-2004, 01:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

go with the climber got to be the quickest way to adjust, good luck

bow season i don't leave home w/o my climber, and you will buger stuff up more trying to hang a lock-on just my opinion
Old 09-20-2004, 02:13 PM

Are you playing the wind right for this stand? What made you decide it was a good location? Will not hunting it for a few weeks cause the conditions that lead to it's selection to change, i.e acorns, water etc?
Old 09-20-2004, 02:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: StealthyOne

Hunt from your climber, elsewhere for a couple weeks. Then, after the spot has cooled off, you can try that stand again.
DITTO!!! give it a little time to cool down. It will not hert to hunt from your cimber for a while. maby even giving you a chance to check out some other places? Then go back to the lock-on.
Old 09-20-2004, 02:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would leave the lock on and hunt in a more appropriate wind if it is feasible to do so and then I would hunt out of my climber to accomondate the winds that were wrong for the lock on and hunt the lock on for the winds that it was right for.
Old 09-20-2004, 03:04 PM

Are you playing the wind right for this stand?
Wind the 1st night was perfect. I saw a dow and fawn about 30 minutes before dark and I bleated to them. The passed and went out of sight. When it got dark I stood to lower my bow on the haul rope and as soon as I stood up she started blowing. Then on Sunday morning I never saw the deer. I had showered and was clean but the wind was blowing hard (Ivan passing) and I used the wind checker but the wind was all over the place. It wasn't blowing in the direction of where the deer had snorted from though. I never saw it so it may very well have deen the same deer as on the opener.

What made you decide it was a good location?
This stand is in good cover and has a cow path that runs along a stone wall in front of me. The wall acts as a funnel between a rise (small ridge) that runs out away from me at a 45 degree angle. The run comes from a very thick piece of wood over in the neighbors property. This looks to be the main run from bedding grounds to the far side of my property where there is a large farm 500+ acers. I've scouted it out well and am supprised to be having the troubles I am experiencing.

Will not hunting it for a few weeks cause the conditions that lead to it's selection to change, i.e acorns, water etc
Nope not at all. I'm set up in a travel lane and they should continue to utilize this throughout the fall.

and you will buger stuff up more trying to hang a lock-on just my opinion
I agree with this 100% and that is my deliema. I hate to have a stand I can't hunt but feel I'll do more damage by trying to move it.

I guess me and my climber are going to get real close over the next couple of week
Old 09-20-2004, 03:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

have a climber that I can hunt from too but like the conveience of a lock on stand.
ARe u kiddin me.............since when is a lock on easier than a climber?? use the climber and save that spot for the rut.