Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I have a dilema

Old 09-14-2004, 10:50 PM

Default I have a dilema

first off i have to say im goin nuts with excitment for the season opener in two weeks. i have got three new places to hunt this year and all three have nice bucks roaming around. i know this because i got pictures of them. my dilema is the fact i got these areas late this year and have not fully scouted the entire properties. i usually do the scouting in late fall/winter for the next season. my decision for this year is to stick to the basics and i have hung stands on some funnels and inside corners. even though i want to bust brush and check it out more i want to stay out completely so not to mess up my chances. does anyone else think this is a smart move? i also want to increas my chances on getting a shot by putting out some corn and maybe some buck grub, but i have heard big bucks tend not to come into bait as much as smaller ones. i just dont want to let someone else stickem until i at least get a shot. any input on this would help.
Old 09-15-2004, 05:55 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: I have a dilema

I would recommend keeping it simple.Be aware of your scent and wind direction at all times.You may start out hunting the edge line and need to move back into the woods if your not seeing what your after.If you need to do some mid day scouting do it mid day when most deer will be bedded.Avoid the thick stuff .The trouble with hunting the edges of fields is food sources will change.So you may need to do alittle mid day scouting.If you can do it in the rain that will also help keep your scent down.
I personally scout all season long,searching for the freshest sighn,tracks droppings and fresh acorns falling.As for the baiting,I've never tried it.
Old 09-15-2004, 07:30 AM

Default RE: I have a dilema

I think you are doing the right thing. If you found some decent sign without scouting too hard, you are in a great area. One idea though, after a morning hunt, just ease around a little bit to see if you see anymore sign. I do that sometimes and find new sign.