Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 bowhunting ground blinds >

bowhunting ground blinds

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

bowhunting ground blinds

Old 09-20-2004, 04:36 PM

Default RE: bowhunting ground blinds

I personally like hunting from a ground blind compared to a tree stand, actually its really the only option I have most of the time, I live in Saskatchewan ,Canada and the area I hunt it is really hard to find a big enough,straight enough tree around the deer trailsfeeding and bedding areas. Plus I prefer the difficulty of hunting ground level, not saying that tree stand hunting is easy because it is not but on the ground sent control is alot more important pus movement is critical when your ten yrds from a big buck at eye level your blood starts racing and your hoping that the pounding of your heart doesn't scare him away.

I LIVE TO HUNT AND HUNT TO LIVE
Old 09-20-2004, 05:54 PM

i have seen people use square bales of hay to make like a little castle and leave openings to shoot out of and then stick a few branches a limbs to disguise it better. i have never used one before but i have hunted on top of a few round bales before but anyways it looked like a hell of an idea to me to make a little fort out of square bales
Old 09-20-2004, 07:35 PM

There is one disadvantage to hunting from the ground that Len pointed out to me this summer - more lost arrows.

Since you are on the ground, your shots will be nearly horizontal which is exactly the angle for an arrow to slide under the ground cover.

I look at lost arrows as a "cost of doing business" from the ground.

Ground blinds have a lot of advantages, but so do the tree stands. Use the best method for the situation.

Good luck on that big boy!
Allen
Old 09-21-2004, 03:20 PM

Have the blind all ready to go, don't think i did too bad of a job. Got permission to hunt the connecting land also and asked the farmer about the big buck and he knew all about it. Supposedly its been around for a few years. And to top it all off, he said that no one has been hunting there for a few years either. And sure enough, I went out this morning to check the fields because they just cut the corn and saw five bucks and a bunch of doe. Five bucks! This is going to be one interesting season. Hopefully I don't lose it and take a smaller buck before the big boy shows himself.