Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Montana Elk hunters..... >

Montana Elk hunters.....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Montana Elk hunters.....

Old 09-13-2004, 09:11 PM

Default Montana Elk hunters.....

I still am not hearing any rutting activity, just started seeing rubs last weekend. How are all of you doing? My buddy confirmed no activity in his area either. What gives?
Old 09-14-2004, 08:47 AM

Default RE: Montana Elk hunters.....

[:@] ELK! SMELK!! You are still kicking.... Good to hear from you Muley69
Old 09-14-2004, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I did hear one bull bugle in the early morning one time on 9-12-04. I bugled back, but did not get a reply. That was the first bugle of the year for me.
I looked back in my hunting journal & the most productive time for my friends & I has been September 19th. thru the 25th. The 21st. is are best day for some reason? Someone in our group has killed a bull on September 21st. for the last eight years in a row.
Old 09-14-2004, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mulie, I haven't heard any bulls yet but within the next two weeks they should be bulgling real strong. Some people around here have said they heard some bulging but I personally have not as I have been spending about 5 days a week in the bush. SOON. Good Luck, Bobby
Old 09-14-2004, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just across the border here in N. Idaho, bulls are talking some, but mostly late at night, not much talk during daylight. I had one bull chuckling about 50 yards from my whitetail stand, no bugles though. Not yet up here. My brother in the Salmon river area had 6 different bulls answer but didnt get much more than one or two return bugles and that was it.

Good luck
shed
Old 09-14-2004, 08:46 PM

Muley, I just went out this past weekend and on Sat. the 11th I heard one bugle in the morning. On Sunday it was another story, I watched a 330 class bull bugle his head off and chase his cows around for about 20 to 30 min. There was another bull in the area and he was bugling also. I was about 30 yards from a bull ripping up a tree with his antlers and when I tried to just sneek in a little closer I was 20 yards from a spike. I walked about 75 yards down this ridge and jumped a 4x4 raghorn. I bet you are wondering why I didn't try for a shot and that is because I was hunting mulies and I didn't have the special permit for this area. Of course it was in the breaks but not down by the river. I know next year I will make sure I get a permit for this area. It was awsome just watching them.
Old 09-14-2004, 08:54 PM

I'm finsihing up a job tomarrow and I plan on taking rest of the week off. Going to camp up in my area wednesday & thursday so I can hear what's going on at nite. Bear season opens tomarrow here, so maybe I'll get in on some of that as well.