Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Slick Trick flight question . . . >

Slick Trick flight question . . .

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Slick Trick flight question . . .

Old 08-05-2007, 12:56 PM

Default Slick Trick flight question . . .

Any "scentific" explaination for why the ST's fly where your field points fly?
Old 08-05-2007, 02:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Slick Trick flight question . . .

They are a very short length, and have well vented blades, made possible by .035 thick blades. It would change FOC less than a longer head, and minimize any front of the arrow steering.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:39 AM

cause they don't smell..
Old 08-06-2007, 08:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

out of a poorly tuned bow i bet they still fly differently.

one day hunters will stop listening when they say "flies like a fieldpoint" any broadhead maker that says that is just fishing for suckers. most all broadheads will fly like a fieldpoint....out of a well tuned bow that has been broadhead tuned shooting well matched arrows...last year i shot 5 different broadheads and 2 styles of fieldpoints and they ALL shot the same. 4 of the broadheads were fixed heads and ALL of the arrows hit in the same group...why? because my bow was broadhead tuned...
Old 08-06-2007, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mauser06

one day hunters will stop listening when they say "flies like a fieldpoint" any broadhead maker that says that is just fishing for suckers. most all broadheads will fly like a fieldpoint....out of a well tuned bow that has been broadhead tuned shooting well matched arrows...last year i shot 5 different broadheads and 2 styles of fieldpoints and they ALL shot the same. 4 of the broadheads were fixed heads and ALL of the arrows hit in the same group...why? because my bow was broadhead tuned...
well put mauser

The shorter heads are less affected by planing than their longer cousins are due to the shorter blades not getting steered as much by the air that passes over and around the blade. Less surface area means less influences by outside forces. So, if your bow isn't quite tuned right and the head starts off a little in any direction but straight it will be less affected by the air it's cutting through. If your bow is just a little out of tune the arrow flies like a field tip. If it's a lot out of tune the arrow doesn't hit the same as your field tip.

A lot of people say their bow is tuned because it was put through paper and wonder why the broadheads don't fly right. You can get a good tear and still not have a tuned bow. You can also get a bad tear and have a bow that shoots broadheads like field tips.

Old 08-06-2007, 06:38 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Amen to that. I think that should be pinned to the top. Guess what my Slick Tricks did with my new bow last year the first time I shot them? Hit about 6 inches left of my field points. About the exact same place the longer 125gr Muzzy three blade hit. Also about 6 inchesleft of aNAPSpitfire. Some rest adjustments andall three broadheads and field points hit the same.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I played around with this before. Even mechanicals wont fly the same out of a bow thats not tuned. I shot some NAP spitfires several years ago before my bow was tuned and they impacted at least 6 inches away from my field tips at 30 yards. Like it was mentioned before, if you bow is in tune most all quality heads should hit in the same group as your field tips. Slicktricks just like many of the other super short design have less blade surface to steer the arrow. The Muzzy MX3, G5 Striker, Nap Crossfire are just a few examples that would have the same flight charecteristics of the slicktrick.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just bought some Wac'em Exit 125's and they fly great out of my bow at over 290 fps. Shot 1 through the target andamost throughthe pallet behind (back end of blades were even with wood). Pulled it out with a BH puller and it looked brand new.

My shots were not flying perfect. An arrow would fish tail every once in a while and be 2" or so off target. I found out tonight my bow was out of tune just a hair left. And by a hair I mean less than 1/64". That little difference caused erratic groups. I'm interested now to shoot the BH's again to see if they hit the mark better.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:31 PM

ORIGINAL: mauser06

I have to agree with your statement. Ishot ST's out of my Tribute that I THOUGHT was tuned properly. They flew like crap.
Long story short, I did not coverALL the bases on the tuning, and when I finally figured out what I had FORGOTTEN to do , Thundereheads, Muzzy's,ST's and fp's all hit the same spot.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:35 PM
Fork Horn

I had problems with the Mag Slick Tricks not hitting with my field points last year. The Sonics were a bit closer but still not perfect. I moved the rest, moved the nocking position, played with the poundage, paper tuned, walk back tuned......and finally squared off my arrows with an ASD to get consistent flight from all of the arrows with all of the heads. I couldn't tell the arrows were not perfectly square by just spin testing them on my finger.