Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Broadhead Help?

Old 09-11-2004, 09:16 PM

Default Broadhead Help?

I set my son up to archery hunt this year. He's shooting a Reflex Buckshin at 48 lbs. with a 26" drawlength. Goldtip arrows w/ 4" vanes. Shoots with a release. 85 grain field points.

My question is, What broadhead should I start him out with? Just putting this out for some different opinions. I've been bowhunting for about 20 years, so I do have some preferences, but I don't want that to get in the way of getting the kid started off right. I prefer cut on contact heads. I don't know if he can be consistent enough with his form to shoot them. I guess I should say "I'm looking for a more forgiving broadhead to start him out with".
Old 09-11-2004, 09:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Broadhead Help?

I think you have the knowledge inside yourself to make the right decision. You showed that to me by liking a cut on contact head. There are so many good broadheads on the market today and listing a few, Muzzy, InnerLoc, Wasp, Rocky Mountain and so on. With his limited poundage and with that I assume KE...I'd stay away from mechanicals but I'm sure you already know that.....just pick one your secure and confident in and get the boy out and practice with them. Limit him to certain confident yardages and have a great season.
Old 09-11-2004, 09:39 PM

We've been practicing together since early June. He's doing pretty well for his first year. He's shooting good groups 30 and 35 yards. After that they start to spred a little. This is practice only. He knows he's limited in range...25 yds. is absolute max. 20 is alot better. Once in a while he tends to torque the bow a tad. But that is expected of a 13 year old.
Old 09-12-2004, 06:58 AM
Fork Horn

I have my 13 year old son set up with the bear razorheads and it sounds like your son is set up about the same. I judge the penitration in a bag target and those and original magnus 2 blade heads get my vote for a light setup.
My dad killed deer with a 45 pound recurve and light 28 inch ceder arrows with the old bear heads and penitration was never a problem.
Old 09-12-2004, 08:36 AM
Fork Horn

The cut on contact would be the best in my opinion espically with low poundage bows. There are alot on very well balanced Cut on contacts out today that fly great , Steel force, and magnus stinger come to mind. Good luck.
Old 09-13-2004, 03:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would suggest either a two blade 100 grn magnus stinger, NAP Nitron, Wasp boss bullet, Sonic or Wack'em heads. the Rocky tradition or Ironhead 100 would also make an excellent choice. These heads all penetrate very well and would make a great choice for lower KE setups.
Old 09-13-2004, 05:17 AM

I am partial to cut on contact heads also, but I was kinda leaning towards a 3 blade head like Thunderheads or the like. Only because I'm not sure if most cut on contact heads come as low as 85 grains. I don't want to have to change his set-up.

5 Shot - I've never heard of the Sonic and Wack'em heads that you mentioned. Who makes them and where do I get info? I have seen the NAP Nitron and they looked to have a very small cutting Dia. and extreme blade angle (might be wrong here, didn't look that close).

I believe I will have to do some searching for COC heads in 85 grn.

Thanks for your input fellow archers.
Old 09-13-2004, 06:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: 5 shot

I would suggest either a two blade 100 grn magnus stinger
If memory serves, I believe Magnus makes the Stinger in an 85 grain version as well. Might want to look into those if he's been shooting 85 grain points all summer. Personally, I'm shooting 100 grain Stingers and I had very minimal tuning to do when I switched over from fieldpoints a couple weeks ago.
Old 09-13-2004, 08:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

I prefer cut on contact heads.
Well, we think alike. I would say go with Magnus, Stos, Grizzly, or Zwickey. He can do a lot of practicing with them, sharpen the same one's up and then hunt with them. I prefer non-vented, but that's a presonal preference.
Old 09-14-2004, 12:34 AM

I would agree with 5-shot and recommend the WASP Boss Bullet. I have been very impressed with its performance. Last year my hunting partner and I took his 15 year old daughter out on her first wild boar hunt. She is shooting a Hoyt Sapphire set at 38 pounds using Goldtip 35/55 26" arrows tipped with the WASP 75 grain broadhead. She successfully sent the arrow completely through the pig at 23 yards.

I just returned from a Newfoundland hunt where one of the guys in our group (using the Boss for the first time), the only successful member, shot a bull moose quartering away at 29 yards entering just back through the liver and exiting (up to the fletches) out through the opposite shoulder/chest area. That is alot of penetration. The SST tip is a cut on impact tip with the blades directly following the initial cut of the tip, an area where other broadheads fail.

Good luck!!!!!!!

5-shot, I thought you would like the WASP BOSS. We talked about it in Indy last January. Maybe this year at the ATA.

Quick Reply: Broadhead Help?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.