Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 hnting cold???Advice >

hnting cold???Advice

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

hnting cold???Advice

Old 09-11-2004, 07:31 PM

Default hnting cold???Advice

I just got permission to hunt 65 acres right near home. It's two big hay fields that drop down into a small stream and then climb to a ridge. I've only had time to chop some trails through the solid wall of briars that totally enclose the fields which by the way there are two of with a thin wall of trees and tangled brush seperating the two. I haven't gotten as far down the hill as the stream even and I am afraid of skunking te are with my scent by poking around. I've hung two stands right on the edge of the fields, one in the tree line seperating the two and one at the opposite end to account for wind direction. If the wind does not cooperate I will use my climber, but there are not many stright trees that I wouldn't have to do some bigtime pruning to. I could go on, but I won't. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-11-2004, 08:56 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: hnting cold???Advice

Sounds like a tuff prospect with the season right around the corner. Is there any way to long distance scout it? Glass the fields from afar and try to glean some intel on the deer activity. Short of topo maps, if you have to make a move, I'd say make it now.

One more thing... as far as pruning goes... I've done select cut timbering and have seen deer on the log landing the next morning! This among the gas, oil and other scents that go with logging... and the deer aren't there to feed on tops either, as they go to chip. Make your cuts. Just be sure you're scent free when you go for the sit. Good luck.
Old 09-11-2004, 09:36 PM

Thanks. Unfortunately, no to the long range scouting, I tried but it's too thick. I cut a path 5 ft wide by 40 yds through the briars into the woods and the deer DO already use it. There are lots of wild grapes growing all in the tree topps and in the briars I acked a trail through. I guess I will just try to find a back door into the property. But what I don't know that worries me is> if the deer catch my pressence even once this close to the season will it affect there behavior to any great extent? And I do see alot of does in the field . I saw one heavy rack making his exit as I entered the field for the second time>Have I already schooled that one?
Old 09-12-2004, 07:18 AM
Dominant Buck

I don't put a lot of weight in the notion of early scouting is everything. If you don't have time or are worried about pressure then your first hunt should be an evening hunt. Walk in and find a good tree and climb it. The worst that will happen is you see deer out of bow range. If that's the case move next time. I have also found that if I jump deer in a new area, I'll climb a tree right there in that spot. Every time I've done this I have had the deer circle back by evening.

Good luck.
Old 09-12-2004, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt among thick Multiflora Rose that is very difficult to get through. I cut a path past my stand and the deer used it immediately. I also make barricades on other trails to make my trail more appealing during the rut, when bucks are traveling.
Old 09-12-2004, 10:34 AM

Thank you everyone. Today my wife will help me wlk the property line and post the area. It seems that there are a lot of hunters using the land without permission. The land owner is an older gentleman who doesn't get around well and only let's me hunt because A: I'm hunting with a bow and B: I'm the only one that bothered to knock on his door, introduce myself, and ask permission. He told me that someone keeps ripping his posted signs down, so I'll go hang new ones a bit higher. I hope it won't be neccessary to patrol this property and it makes me a bit nervous about leaving stands up. But hey, I gotta do what I gotta do, right? Thanks again for all the advice.Chris
Old 09-12-2004, 09:27 PM

Use an online map site. You can get good topo and aerial photos from them. Great for scouting!!!! I use www.mapcard.com, it cost a little bit for a membership, but you can print as many maps as you want.

The way I use it, is I take my GPS with me, get the Coordinates and then I'm able to pull up the maps.