Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 5 stages of a hunter >

5 stages of a hunter

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

5 stages of a hunter

Old 09-10-2004, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 5 stages of a hunter

ORIGINAL: Jbra

I am on the Fourth stage right now, if people normaly dont reach the fifth stage until they are in their forties, Im going to be broke as a joke. Im only 23, and I buy stuff non-stop, I cant stop doing it either. I have a problem..... Its an interesting perspective though. Nice Post
We need to start a support group for people in their early twenties who are addicted to hunting and can't stop buying gear. "Huntaholics Anonymous."

Hello, my name is Justin and I am addicted to bowhunting.
Old 09-10-2004, 03:08 PM

We need to start a support group for people in their early twenties who are addicted to hunting and can't stop buying gear. "Huntaholics Anonymous."
There already is and we meet here everyday
Old 09-10-2004, 03:08 PM

frist step is admiting your addiction, and i have a problem
Old 09-10-2004, 03:14 PM

Thats good stuff, And this site is almost as bad as buying my hunting stuff. im on here constantly, lots of great advice.

And Yes I DO HAVE A PROBLEM
Old 09-10-2004, 03:26 PM

I'm definitely stage 1!! just ask all my ex-wives about my MOUTH[8D]

Seriously, i'm at the over the hill stage, just get out and enjoy the wonders.
Old 09-10-2004, 04:23 PM

"The final or mellowing-out phase is not reached by many before the age of 40 and only after many years of hunting. That is when satisfaction comes from the whole hunting experience and the pace is much more leisurely and relaxed. It's the time when a hunter might pick up the video recorder or camera, while others do the shooting. The whole experience is one of satisfaction."
According to the "5 Stage" program, I am suppose to be in the "5th" stage. However, the stage does not yet apply to me.

This season will be my 40th bowhunting season for deer. I have experienced much satisfaction from the years of bowhunting, but my "pace" is not leisurely. I still prepare hard and hunt hard. In some degree, I am constantly dabbling in the bowhunting side of archery, from season to season. I started preparing for this season in mid spring.

I am confident about my skills, but I do not say I am relaxed. The term "relaxed" sort of rings as though I would have to be nonchalant and not as interested as I used to be. I have the same enthusiasm that I did 40 years ago. I just no longer experience the confusion and frustration stage.

I will and have cut my hunt time short to go help track another shooter's deer, but I'll be damned if I will give up my hunting time to chase and video or photograph others while they hunt and do the shooting.

I believe the "5 Stages" was meant to apply generally to the average hunter that hunts with a firearm. I realized a long time ago that serious bowhunters are a different breed.
Old 09-10-2004, 09:45 PM

I guess I'm in stage 3-4, mid thirties, so it sounds pretty accurate. I still like to limit out when I'm bird hunting though.
Old 09-11-2004, 07:25 AM

I would put myself in stage 5 and have been there awhile.

An observation I have made would be that the age may not move hunters into this stage as much as having someone else to teach and share thier hunting with.

I know at age 32 I have a 5 year old son, 2 year old daughter, and a wife just starting to shoot the bow. To me it is much more important that they have a good time than it is to shoot a animal. No matter what it is.

I have started to look forward to hunting tree rats again with my son. Just like I started out. And my daughter may be the most avid hunter of the two. She follows me around for hours while I am practicing with the bow.

There is no doubt that as they get older I will be giving up more of my hunting equipment to buy them equipment. More of my hunting time to teach them the sport I love. And loving every minute of it just as much as I would have if I shot the next world record whitetail.

Wait a minute what did I just say... I take that back if a world record whitetail steps out I'm taking thier bow away to shoot it myself...
Old 09-11-2004, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am at the trophy stage.
Old 09-11-2004, 10:34 AM

Very nice.