HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   CHIGGERS!!!!!! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/71804-chiggers.html)

justhrowit 09-08-2004 08:09 AM

CHIGGERS!!!!!!

O.K guys and Gals,

If you can't help I guess I'm just out of luck. Three weeks ago I did a scouting trip into the woods. Got home and didn't shower, because I just got a new bike and had to get out and ride. Well, next day I'm itching like crazy and it turns out I get Chiggers. I've been told if you take a warm shower you won't get affected by them! If you've never had them...God Bless your soul! What an intense itch that lasts over two weeks.

Anyway, Monday night I went on my first hog hunt...didn't see anything. I was covered head to toe. Got home and took a nice long Warm-Hot shower as the bugs were aweful. I woke up last night itching like crazy all over my hands/wrists, some areas around my belt line and my ankles. CHIGGERS AGAIN!!!! How in the.... I don't get it. Especially on my ankles again. I had long pants on, long socks with knee high rubber boots and they still got in there. What gives?

Anyway, I'm not sure I can handle 2-3 more weeks of itching like crazy. Anyone know of anything that'll make em stop. I have used Benedryl. I've pretty much bathed in the stuff for all intensive purposes. Stuff helps VERY minimally. Is there anything else that will work. You advice/suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Jay

P.S...sorry for the long post

wideone 09-08-2004 08:11 AM

RE: CHIGGERS!!!!!!

I always put fingernail polish on them to kill them. Use clear though so you don't look like a geek.

mrfritz44 09-08-2004 08:12 AM

I've heard that troops in the field were at one point advised to eat a match-head a day to help ward off chiggers. Apparently, they can't stand the sulfur in the matches that eventually makes its way out of your pores.

Any Army or Marine people confirm this? I heard it from an Army reservist once.

Fritz

adams 09-08-2004 08:13 AM

I feel for you man. [X(].
Luckily in New England chiggers are not an issue. I can say I must be blessed becaus in all my travels I've never got any. I wish you the best of luck and a speedy recovery. And just be glad you weren't wearing shorts:eek:

HAZCON7 09-08-2004 08:26 AM

I HATE CHIGGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From what I understand the chiggers can live in your boots and wait for you to put them back on - so shower or not, if you don't brush off your boots and other wear, you're gonna get em again. Also, I think they can live in the carpet of your truck / house.

daystalker 09-08-2004 08:34 AM

Yeah what Haz said is true, wash the crap out of your cloths. and have your truck seats cleaned!

other than that wear some non sented bug spray.. chiggers suck.. i hate em. nothings worse that geting chiggers while hunting.

good luck!

davidw 09-08-2004 08:46 AM

As a GA boy I can attest to the fact that chiggers can make your life miserable. Clear fingernail polish works to get rid of them and it cuts down on the itching. As far as keeping them away, the reason the matches work is the sulfur. You can also go to the drug store and ask for a small package of sulfur powder. Sprinkle it in your socks before you go to the woods and you will not be bothered.

justhrowit 09-08-2004 08:54 AM

How long can these things live in your boot/clothing. Nonetheless, this is the first time this year wearing these boots, and I had just washed all my clothes. Nonetheless, they got in there. I will try out the nail polish today at lunch! Looks like I I will be washing my clothes again! I will be getting some scent free bug spray too. Anyway...gotta get back to itching and scratching. I'll look into the sulphur too!

Thanks for the help

Jay

mosaic 09-08-2004 08:56 AM

Control Measures
Skin Care

After returning from a chigger-infested area, launder the field clothes in soapy, hot water (125°F.) for about half an hour. Infested clothes should not be worn again until they are properly laundered and/or exposed to hot sunshine. Unlaundered clothes or those laundered in cool water will contain the biting chiggers to again reinfest your skin. As soon as possible, take a good hot bath or shower and soap repeatedly. The chiggers may be dislodged, but you will still have the stylostomes, causing the severe itch. Scratching deep to remove stylostomes can cause secondary infections. For temporary relief of itching, apply ointments of benzocaine, hydrocortisone, calamine lotion, New Skin, After Bite, or others recommended by your pharmacist or medical doctor. Some use Vaseline, cold cream, baby oil, or fingernail polish. (The sooner the treatment, the better the results.)

HAZCON7 09-08-2004 08:59 AM

Great follow up mosaic - welcome to the forums!