Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

CHIGGERS!!!!!!

Old 09-08-2004, 09:11 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: CHIGGERS!!!!!!

When I was a kid living in Henderson Kentucky I had the unfortunate oppurtunity to feel the wrath of chiggers on my berry pouch. It was un-fun> I really cant tell you how bad it was cause I was only 7 but I can remeber, fairly vividly being scared to death that my parts were ruined. Ohh well. I wouldn't wish chiggers on my worst enemy.
Old 09-08-2004, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

wrath of chiggers on my berry pouch.
OUCH!
Old 09-08-2004, 09:21 AM
Dominant Buck

Permanone will slay them .
Chiggers suck ! [:@]
Old 09-08-2004, 09:44 AM

Just be glad you did not have to go to the hospital for them,.....talk about embarassing! This happened when I was a kid and it aint very fun showing yourself to a team of dr.s and nurses at 12 years old. Swollen like a grapefruit!
Old 09-08-2004, 09:49 AM
Typical Buck

Well, you say you need it to be 125 degrees or better....will just drying the clothes work. If I were to stick the clothes the dryer on high heat for a 20-30 minutes....wouldn't that work?

Jay
Old 09-08-2004, 09:51 AM
Dominant Buck

I admire chiggers for their tenacity. They are a cross between ticks and mosquitoes. They crawl on you perfering ankels and groins. They take a bite of you and sucks some fluid, then drop off. The bite itches worst the a mosquitoe bite.

Cover up what you can they will burrow thru the socks and clothing to get at you. Hit a nest and you will be covered.

"Off" works well to keep them off of you. If you do get them, shower right away. For my clothes, I spray them with bug killer and then wash them. It's very important to do this before you bring them into the house. If you bring infested clothes into the house, then they will drop off and wait to get back on you. For the bites, anything to stop you from scratching. I have found clear nail polish to work but it stings as it goes on.
Old 09-08-2004, 10:44 AM

Typing this currently covered in chigger bites from dove hunting last weekend. What has worked for me is a nice hot shower right after exposure. Take a wash cloth and dip it in Bleach and mix with water and whipe yourself down real good while in the shower. Stings a bit but much better than itching for 2 weeks. Also pinesol floor cleaner works I hear.
Old 09-08-2004, 11:07 AM

Ok here is what I do . I scratch the heck out of them then i get in a tub of hot water with a coffe cup of clorex and soak in it maybe a little more if needed . get out dry off and cover them in clear finger nail polish .
As far as your ankles go to Wal-Mart and get you a pair of leg gators they go over your boots at the top and wrap tight around them and the pants have had great luck using them ai have a pair on every set of boots.. good luck
Old 09-08-2004, 11:20 AM

I haven't been bothered by chiggers in years & heres how I got away from them. I would come in from hunting strip down & start my clothes in the wash. Run a bath tub full of hot water.............as hot as I could stand it put a cup of bleach in it. Soak in the water up to my neck until the water turned cool, drain the tub & take a shower. Hope this helps in the future.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:44 PM

I fully understand what you're talking about. I picked up my share of them last Wednesday while out dove hunting. The itching only lasted about 3-4 days.

Nothing I know of really works except waiting them out! By the way, fingernail polish is an old myth. Chiggers don't burrow into the skin. They insert their head like a tick and attach themselves to a hair. Fingernail polish only helps with the itching in that it keeps the air off of it and makes you more aware not to itch it.

Quick Reply: CHIGGERS!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.