Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Coyote with a bow? >

Coyote with a bow?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Coyote with a bow?

Old 02-28-2002, 07:09 PM

Default RE: Coyote with a bow?

I got one this year, but it was kind of a fluke.

I was deer hunting over harvested beans and seen him a long ways out.not having my rabbit squeeler I tried the fawn bleat on my deer call, and that little SOB came a runnin'. broadside at 15 yds.

don't plan on that happening again soon!
Old 03-01-2002, 06:43 AM

Its not impossible but I think luck plays a big role but then again isn't luck part of hunting. I got one monster coyote this fall. He was 60# and I am having him stuffed. I had seen about 8 deer does and young bucks come bolting across a small field in front of me where I hunt and couldn't figure out why they where running at full speed. Moments later came the biggest yote I had ever seen. So I gave him a fawn bleat and he came running straight at me. At about 10yrds I hit the grunt and he slowed down. I pulled back and let it fly. Clean kill 10yrd broadside. Funny, they sure don't have the same ability as a big whitetail to haul ass after taking an arrow in the chest. He went down in about 15yrds making some strange noises just before he expired.
Old 03-01-2002, 08:40 AM
Typical Buck

I got my first coyote with a bow this past October. I have been wanting one for a long time and finally did it. I have bowhunted about all my life and this is the first one I got close to. She was a really beautiful 38 pounder. Her coat and tail are near perfect. She is gonna be a really nice full mount. I was watching a small buck feeding out in a cornfield that was opened up (picked around the outside rows). He looked back towards the corn that was still standing and all of a sudden he took off into the woods. I thought that a big buck that I had been after in this area ran him off. All of a sudden the coyote came trotting out. She went up to the edge of the woods and stopped and looked in, about 80 yards from me. I started mouth calling her. I was making a fast excited sounding "kissing" sound, then started making it longer and drawn out like something that was injured. She listened for a few seconds and then come trotting to about 12 yards from my treestand. A big limb was between hear head and so I drew back, stood on my tiptoes to get the arrow over the limb, and drilled her right behind the front shoulder. It knocked her right down and almost pinned her to the ground. She rolled off the arrow and went about 30 yards and piled up. It was really exciting. I also called a fox in from about 150 yards to right under my tree 3 years ago doing the same kind of calling.. I drilled that one as if walked away. I got a full mount of that too. So getting a coyote with a bow is tricky but it can be done. It sure is a memorable hunt!
Old 03-01-2002, 09:40 AM

Keep the wind in your favor. That's number 1. Exactly as has been stated in the above mentioned reply's, wait for the right opportunity to draw. In fact I was out hunting last weekend on a club hunt and I know this filed like the back of mmy hand. I usually set up on his escape route and wait for the others to stalk. The wind always give them up before movement. Then being in the right place allowed me to wait for the dog to stop look back, this is when I came to draw and when he looked forward again he made the fatal mistake of trying to sneak out of the field. By this time he was at 20yds, broadside and the rest is part of history. It can be done, but do your homework.If the dog frequents the same area find his den. Monitor the wind at all times and let it fly!
Old 03-01-2002, 10:07 PM

Thanks for the feed back. Sounds like its worth trying.

Nimrod - Not very likely but it happens.
Old 03-05-2002, 10:57 AM
Spike

I just left my stand one morning when I saaw a buck come running past at full speed. I was wondering what had scared it until I saw a pack of yotes about 100 yards away so I hid behind a tree and grabbed my fawn in distres call and blew it a couple of times. The yotes keep coming straight towards me and finally one stopped at 20 yards. I shot and hid it in the back. As it laid there sqealling and yeaping a second one walked over to see what was going on and stopped in the same place. I shot and killed that one also. So with a lot of luck I was able to kill 2 yotes with my bow in the same spot.
Old 03-05-2002, 04:13 PM
Fork Horn

i have never been able to get drawn on one