Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Slobs

Old 09-07-2004, 07:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Slobs

I was watching a fishing show this weekend on OLN. The guys kept using the term SLOB to describe their trophy catches.

I've also seen this term used on big bucks lately in this forum.

My mother who doesn't hunt or fish thought that term was disgusting and disrespectful. I can't help but agree. Every time I hear or read that word to describe something wonderful and majestic it turns my stomach.

Don't we as ethical hunters and fisherman have a responsibility to portray our sports in the best light possible and with as much respect as the animals deserve?
Old 09-07-2004, 07:57 AM

Default RE: Slobs

I agree Hazcon7, i hope we can learn from this, i myself was not aware of these species being lowered to this status.

Thank you
Old 09-07-2004, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with it. The term slob when used in reference to a deer doesn't mean a dirty, messy disgusting creature. It mean a huge, nice, brute of a deer. If we are gonna start getting pickey about something like this then there are a ton of terms we need to stop using in our everyday life. Don't call someone "big as an Ox" They are four legged grazing cattle who's only use is to haul equipment. "smart as a whip" needs to be banned as well. I know I don't want to be called a piece of torture equipment. And lets not even think about "quiet as a mouse", who knows what kind of arguments that would start. Basically I think people now days tend to try and read too much into everything and complain at the first sign that something may be out of place. If we stopped using the term slob and picked another one I'm sure it wouldn't take but 5 minutes for someone to find that term offensive.
Old 09-07-2004, 08:12 AM

Slob is not a term I like or use but I am not offended by it. I'm also not offended by someone who call s a hog a piney rooter(I actually like that one).

I prefer to utilize the term Slob to describe unethical "hunters".[:'(]
Old 09-07-2004, 08:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree that using the term slob referring to filthy, disgusting, dirty, etc. to describe a trophy just isn't right. However I do realize that words can take on different meanings in different parts of the country.
Old 09-07-2004, 08:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I prefer to utilize the term Slob to describe unethical "hunters".
I'll go with that.

bearklr, although your point is extreme it is well taken. The term "Monster Buck" could visually mean a horrible disfigured and scary buck - but all of us take it to mean something positive.

Personally, i don't like to follow trends and the latest fad just because everyone else is doing it. If you have a good reason to call an animal a slob then more power to ya. but if you're doing it because u saw it on a hunting video then I would question why.
Old 09-07-2004, 08:17 AM

Exactly my thoughts.

Slob HUNTERS - those who shoot an animal, but if it doesn't drop right there, they don't get out of their stand.

Slob HUNTER - the guy who takes more than the limit.

Slob FISHERMAN - the guy that tosses his styrofoam cup overboard.

I can't see the point of using a historically "bad" term to discuss or describe something good, there's enough good words already.

As far as hearing it on tv or someplace and then using it myself , well I guess I'm not much of a follower ...
Old 09-07-2004, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Does anybody know where this term came from? I don't remember hearing it prior to about 6 months ago. In fact, the first place I heard it was on this forum.
Old 09-07-2004, 08:44 AM

I have never heard this term used to describe something good? Then again I don't watch fishing shows either. You have to remember most of those fishing shows are southern guys I think. They tend to have a different language and a lot of words don't mean the same thing. Every region of the U.S. differs slightly in word meaning and ufinisms (spelling?) Here in MI and OH we call a big deer or trophy a "Hog" among other things. I guess that could be taken in the same way as "slob" would. Fish we call "keepers" or "monsters". Or words I can't even fake on this forum for fear of breaking the rules.

Paul
Old 09-07-2004, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here in MI and OH we call a big deer or trophy a "Hog" among other things. I guess that could be taken in the same way as "slob" would.
Excellent point. I have used the term Hog before and never thought twice about it. I don't know where I stand on this issue now lol.

Quick Reply: Slobs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.