Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 rattling and grunting in early season >

rattling and grunting in early season

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

rattling and grunting in early season

Old 09-06-2004, 02:02 PM

Default rattling and grunting in early season

I am thinking about using a decoy and doing some rattling and grunting. Do you think it is worth it in the early season? Or am I gonna spook them?
Old 09-06-2004, 02:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: rattling and grunting in early season

I plan on using a buck decoy in early/mid October..grunting and rattling. The last week of October I'll take the antlers off and start using Tinks 69 on scent wicks around the decoy.
Old 09-09-2004, 03:28 PM

Opening day here in CT is the 15th of Sep, I've read a lot of things about how deer are normally curious animals, some people say to grunt, and rattle, anytime...others say that you should wait until pre-rut. I for one am going with a friend, and I am going to give it a try this year and see what happens at least through the morning. I'll let you know if it does any good or not.
Old 09-10-2004, 03:03 AM

sounds like a plan just make sure you have a decoy that has movable ears and tail deer arent stupid they can tell the diffrence when i deer isnt moving at all and standing still looking off into space.

Old 09-10-2004, 09:01 AM

I think the deer will respond to grunts and rattling in the first couple weeks of October. I read a great article on deer vocalizations and it had a chart of what calls works best durring a specific period of the rut. I'll post the link just as soon as I can locate it.
Old 09-10-2004, 09:23 AM
Typical Buck

I have seen MANY deer with broken racks in early October. I've seen sparring in Early oct on a couple of occasions as well. They are always claiming dominancy at all times of the year. I once read an article in D&DH and it showed two large bucks doing battle while they were in full Velvet. Author said is was quite a site and sound. It was a muffled battle because of the velvet. I wouldn't go hard core rattling. I think the article was just issolated incodent. Maybe just soft touches to the antlers. Same with the grunt. Light soft buck grunts. Spark some curiosity in the deer. Also, I do believe in decoys as well. I think they can be very effective when combined with calling and scents. May help close the deal. Of corse it can always backfire.....for no reason at all. Anyway, good luck, and I say give it a try.

Jay
Old 09-10-2004, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've actually seen bucks sparring and heard the occassional grunt on opening day here (Sept 15th).

Having said that, I don't think you elicit a positive response to antler rattling much before mid-October at the earliest. I'll carry the grunt (and bleat) call, but only to use in an attempt to turn a buck that's staying out of range. Late in Oct and early to mid -November are best for rattling and grunt calls.
Old 09-10-2004, 10:38 AM

A link as promised Deer talk 101

http://www.bowsite.com/bowsite/featu...deergrunt.html
Old 09-10-2004, 11:36 AM

Cool web sight. Thanks adams.
Old 09-10-2004, 12:05 PM
Typical Buck

wow...great site adams. Wish I had sound on my computer. Will have to check that out when I get home.

J