Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 summit bucksteps >

summit bucksteps

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

summit bucksteps

Old 09-04-2004, 07:04 AM

Default summit bucksteps

Has anyone used or experienced this product? I know they are rather new but they look pretty decent. I was hoping to get some opinions before going out and spending that kind of money. Thanks guys!!
Old 09-04-2004, 08:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: summit bucksteps

They're great.........A little slower to put up than a climbing stick because of the multiple pieces but they will allow you to climb a tree that you couldn't use a climbing stick on.
They aren't heavy either. I think 10 lbs for 4 sections?
I just camo'd up 2 sets to use on my Illinois trip in November.

One thing you might want to do since they are multi piece, is for the first few bottom steps use screw in steps or strap on steps........the bucksteps will only comfortably allow you to get to about 15ft so if you start the first 4 feet with cheapy screw in steps you can save the good stuff for getting you to 18-20ft.
Plus you can take the bottom steps with you so it will at least deter someone from taking your more expensive Bucksteps.

They're well made and solid. What's also nice is that as you attach each section you have room to stand with both feet while doing so........just wear your harness rope as a lineman's belt and it will make set up safe and easy.
Old 09-04-2004, 09:36 AM

sounds outstanding...glad to see they are worth it!! summit puts out great products. i use their treestands as well. thanks for the help matt!
Old 09-06-2004, 06:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

You know that's one thing I don't have that I probably need to pick up. I have not hunted with them, but have seen them at the ATA show and compared them to the other "steps" at the show. The Summits appeared to be easier to use, especialy as far as climbing and hanging a stand. They wide steps will be more comfortable and having both feet on a step is a big plus when hanging stands. They stack together nicely and seem to be a good compromise between a stick, and indivdual steps. Of course you know if Summit makes them the quality will be high, as well as the customer service.
Old 09-06-2004, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have 2 sets of them and love them. After years of fooling with strap on and scew in steps, then stick ladders, I will never go back to anything else. They are small and lightweight and can be strapped to your lock on stand and carried into the woods very easily. You can also call Summit and they will sell you one Buckstep, you know in case you happen to "run over one with your truck" nod, nod, wink wink. It's funny I have managed to run over 2 of mine.

Anyway with this extra step you can get up to around 20 feet which is my preferred hunting height. 5 tseps plus my Headhunter Lite stand weighs right aroun 21#, which is about the same as most climbing stands and very manageable. They way I install mine is to install a haul up rope and strap the Bucksteps at various lengths down the rope and pull them up as I go. They strap on very easily and are very stable once attached.

If you look around you can find them online for less than $90 a set.
Old 09-06-2004, 08:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

the bucksteps will only comfortably allow you to get to about 15ft so if you start the first 4 feet with cheapy screw in steps you can save the good stuff for getting you to 18-20ft.
Or buy two sets of them as I did (allows me to get 25') and bungle cord one set to the stand and attach a strap to the other and sling it over the shoulder. Remove one entire set upon leaving. Works for me .