Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 whats your best advice for a beginner >

whats your best advice for a beginner

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

whats your best advice for a beginner

Old 09-03-2004, 07:31 PM

Default RE: whats your best advice for a beginner

The very best thing I can say is(since pratice was taken) is start simple and work your way up. There is a LOT of knowledge to be learned, and a lot of gadgets and gizmos to mess with, but theres just too much to learn it all at once. When i started out i didnt have anyone to show me or tell me anything about hunting, so i just got in the woods and started teaching myself. I think i was alot better off that way because i learned slowly and gradually by trial and error......Many missed chance, close calls and dead deer later, I'm still learning every single trip. No matter how long you enjoy our outdoors, there will ALWAYS be more to learn!!

One more thing is when something fails dont hesitate to ask people no matter how dumb it may seem. I've taken several good deer, but I still post "stupid" questions on this board every other week or so. If you have the opportunity to ask someone with more experience, then take it. Good luck to ya!!!
Old 09-03-2004, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know about you , but my arm gets super sore after appx. 1.5 hours .
WOW. I keep my practice sessions to a low of 30 shots to a high of maybe 100. After that I think I am causing more damage then good.
Old 09-03-2004, 07:38 PM
Fork Horn

As a relative beginner myself my advice would be to just have fun.Practice when you can and don't force yourself,when you get tired,put the bow down.I suggest reading as much technical stuff as you can and try to find a form that fits you and your bow and learn how to make a good shot and why how you hold your bow,how you release your arrow and how you mentally approach your shot affects the outcome of your shot.There is always something more to learn.And then there is the hunting side......Just make it fun for yourself,it is a great sport.Ron
Old 09-03-2004, 09:05 PM

thanks again guys i keep it at about 30 shots a day tops i was told that a few shots everyday are good dont overdo it and dont try to be a weekend warrior and go crazy on the weekends just. katbones i just try do a little right after work then maybe pick it up again a little later
Old 09-03-2004, 09:28 PM

PRACTICE , PRACTICE , PRACTICE AND THEN GO BACK AND PRACTICE SOME MORE !
Old 09-04-2004, 02:24 AM

I am new at this myself so my advice is not mine but rather something that I read in "Bowhunting Magazine". I read a article about practicing. It stated a lot of things that I have read on this forum, so I feel VERY confident in the advice that is given here by all. The one thing that did stick out in the article though was the author said that you should only practice 15 to 30 minutes in a session. The reason for this was because if you practice past the point of fatigue and soreness, then you will create bad habits.

What do all of ya'll think about that??? Since I have read that article, I get up early in the morning and practice for about 30 minutes and then when I get home from work I practice another 30 minutes. I will pratice kneeling, sitting, on flat ground, and from 10 to 15 feet.

Am I going down the right path guys????
Old 09-04-2004, 04:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Find as many people as you can to hunt with, the more people you hunt with the more exposure you have. Listen to how they hunt and what are their tecniques. It is amazing how many people hunt that problems with #1 ETHICS! Develop a sound backbone and appreciate your oppurtunity to hunt. I have run into alot of guys who take more than they are allowed. Shot just to shot. #2 Oldtimers are a great resource. I have hunted with my great uncle and at 72 he has showed me more than most men in their 30's. #3 Watch what you buy. Every year there are always those new things that my enhance your bow/arrow/scent/stand/ect. Stick to the basics and see what works well for you!