Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 whats your best advice for a beginner >

whats your best advice for a beginner

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

whats your best advice for a beginner

Old 09-02-2004, 07:39 PM

Default RE: whats your best advice for a beginner

Practice
Old 09-03-2004, 07:09 AM

Thanks for all the advice guys I am getting my friends to bow hunt also so I got some good buddies to practice with. I am also learning from all yall. So thanks keep on posting things so I can read and learn. I am addicted to this forum all I want to do is read and learn more. Heck I should be working right now but thats no fun. Well I better get back to this no fun job so I can afford to keep this bowhunting addiction going thanks again.
Old 09-03-2004, 07:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

It might have already been said but do not get suckered into buying gadgets and gear that you do not need to be a trully successful hunter. Treasure each day that you hunt as if it were the only day you will ever get out there...and remember, each deer is a trophy.
Old 09-03-2004, 09:46 AM
Fork Horn

I began bowhunting four years ago, I agree that unlike gun hunting, this is an obsession. I was fortunate enough to have an experienced archer show me the correct setup and form. Unlike some pursuits, there is a definate advantage to being shown the form and manner of shooting a bow. Then as was said practice and have fun.
Old 09-03-2004, 09:52 AM

My advice is as follows:
1. Read this message board daily to learn from the people who have hunted all their lives. Lots of good advice on this board.

2. Don't go cheap on equipment. Buy within your budget, but buy quality!

3. Acknowledge that you are a beginner and that you WILL make mistakes while hunting.

4. Learn from your mistakes and learn to understand how deer react to your mistakes.

5. Always be safe and secure in your stand!
Old 09-03-2004, 09:55 AM
Typical Buck

HAVE FUN!!!!!
Old 09-03-2004, 10:00 AM

1. Practice
2. Patience
3. Don't believe everything you read. If you spend much time here, you can find a contradicting opinion on just about anything. Keep your eyes and ears open to pick up any tips and advice you can but you still have to find out what works and doesn't work for you.

Good luck.
Old 09-03-2004, 10:21 AM
Fork Horn

I've got one that no one has mentioned yet...find a buddy that has some good hunting ground.

All kidding aside, besides the practice issue, get out in the woods as much as you can. a)you'll learn something everytime you go out; b)you can't kill a deer sitting on the couch watching hunting videos and eating cheese curls.

Good luck to ya!
Old 09-03-2004, 02:09 PM

im glad i decided to use this forum and not another one cause this one is clearly the best lots of good people here that like to help a new archer like me out thanks guys
Old 09-03-2004, 07:15 PM

Thank you dwstingy for asking a question i should have asked myself. I am a new member and am learning the "ROPES" myself. My question to you is, how long can you practice now?? I don't know about you , but my arm gets super sore after appx. 1.5 hours .
Anyway, thanks again for the great replies you garnered from this fantastic community.

Quick Reply: whats your best advice for a beginner

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.