Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Tree stand hight >

Tree stand hight

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tree stand hight

Old 08-30-2004, 11:00 AM

Default Tree stand hight

Planning on building a tree stand for this season, and looking for some advise on the best hight to build at. I have heard conflicting stories, 12', 20', 15..... Any feedback would be a great help....

R1
Old 08-30-2004, 11:03 AM

Default RE: Tree stand hight

I personally like to hunt in the 18-20 foot range.
Old 08-30-2004, 11:08 AM

it all depends on the situation and terrain. My dad has his gun stand 50' high in an old pine tree on a hump in the middle of a tamarak swamp. That works good! I should take pictures. You should have seen me building it up there. It has 4 sides and a roof and windows that open and the whole deal.

I usually like to get above 20', not because you need to, but it is a little bit of an advantage with the wind factor. If I can only go 15' up, then I will live with it, but if I can go up to 30' and still see well, then i do it.
Old 08-30-2004, 11:18 AM

It all depends on the situation. Some times if you go too high you can't see through the limbs to where the deer will be.

I just put up a stand yesterday on an oak with holly everywhere around it. I made the stand right at the top of the holly so I'll be able to see the deer but my body will be behind the holly. About 18' up I'd say. I've hunted higher but it really all depends on the situation.
Old 08-30-2004, 11:43 AM

Instead of putting the time and money into a permanent stand that you can't move, try a lock on or climber. If this is for bowhunting then the mobility will be needed.
Old 08-30-2004, 01:03 PM

I stay around the 15-18' mark. I make sure I have sufficient cover to blend in at that height.
Old 08-30-2004, 01:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

lil too late to start banging hammers around if ya ask me
Old 08-30-2004, 01:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use a climber and always am at least 18 ft.
Old 08-30-2004, 02:30 PM
Spike

I agree with most of the posts, somewhere between 16-20, any less than 16 is hazardous with the wind and any more than 20 makes angles hard for shooting quality kill shots. Agree with the previous post on its to late to be building stands in the woods, would run with a portable to limit the disruption in the woods. Good Luck!
Old 08-30-2004, 03:33 PM
Typical Buck

i agree, the situation should dictate everything about your treestand placement.

And I agree that portables are necessary evils!

Quick Reply: Tree stand hight

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.