Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Who Cares Less About Equipment >

Who Cares Less About Equipment

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Who Cares Less About Equipment

Old 08-26-2004, 12:33 PM
Typical Buck

Default Who Cares Less About Equipment

Is it just me or is there anyone else that really could care less about what specific kind of bow, arrows, rest, release, broadhead, stand, sights, camo, boots, etc etc that you use, just as long as it works? I've probably changed my bow setup twice in going on 14 years of bowhunting. I shoot a Pearson who I believe is out of business now. My camo gets replaced when it gets enough holes in it that you can see my tighty whities, and I buy whats convenient and practical and have never owned any form of scent eliminating clothing. I still shoot aluminum although I did make a monumental change a few years back and started shooting mechanicals although this year I may switch back. I buy a dozen arrows and as long as I have three straight ones in my quiver I don't buy anymore...a dozen will usually last a few years if not more. My stands are usually home made with an ocassional bargain buy @ Cabelas or Wally World. I have used the same release for 9 years. My rest is 5 years old and was replaced only when a cooler got dropped on my last one and bent it. With all of this frugality and disconcern in regards to my equipment I am fairly happy with the success I've had bowhunting. My biggest concern is getting close enough to big animals to kill them and I spend most of my time and energy in achieving that goal. I get bored by the details of equipment...anybody else like that or am I a freak[][8D]
Old 08-26-2004, 12:39 PM

Default RE: Who Cares Less About Equipment

There is nothing wrong with that. I huted with the same set up that I startedwith up until this year. Then I went hog wild. I bought a new bow (it was time) and all new accessories but now that I have those I should be all set for the next 5 or 6 years at least.
Old 08-26-2004, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have been using the same bow, that I bought new, since 1984. A Browning x-cellerator. Wood riser, laminated wood limbs, 44" axle/axle.
I'm starting to feel like it is time for new, but it is sooo pretty and light to hold and the wood is warm in your hand on a cold day and OHH I just love her! Nevermind....
Old 08-26-2004, 12:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

I know exactly what you mean wolfen.

Some of my camo I can't even button anymore!! I have gotten fatter in the last 5 years and it don't really fit well anymore. That is right, I don't own any camo that is newer than 5 years old. Even my coveralls are that old, more holes in them than anything...zipper is broke. My rocky boots where mossy oak camo at one time and now they are faded so bad they look dark gray!!

Now my bow on the otherhand..I did upgrade that in 01 and bought into the Mathews game. I put a new rest on it 2 years ago, but the rest was a freebie from one time member gkftech. I did have to change out sights this year because the fibers were broke in the old one. I bought 6 new hunting arrows last year and still have 4. My arrow box is full of arrows for practice that might be bent or an 1 1/2 too long. I know I still have 2 or 3 of the original dozen I bought in 01. And yes my arrows are aluminum. My buddy switched to carbon a couple of weeks ago and then we went to a shoot, and all I can say is he can have them!! Pull out of the target way too hard. Sometimes it took both of us to get them out.
Old 08-26-2004, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

You are not a freak Wolfen.

I have a small assortment of older strap on stands, and my Lone Wolf climber is on its 3rd year of use. My screw in steps just need some touching up with a small file and a little paint. This will be the 4th season for my Martin Cougar Magnum bow. I still use Muzzys because they work for me. My faded but comfy cool weather camo is still going, same for the cold weather hunting clothing. Looks like the new Predator camo is gonna have to wait. I am using a dropaway with some Easton Axis arrows this season, and the same release. I am not a scent lure freak, but after trying doe pee and estrous doe scent from Rush Creek Deer Lure Co. with good results, its gonna be in use again this season!
Old 08-26-2004, 01:18 PM

I spend a lot of money on hunting supplies annually. I'm addicted. I like to buy as much as I can afford.

This year I bought:

new bow
new sight
new rest
new arrows
new stabalizer
new broadheads
new quiver
new fanny pack
3 sets of new climbing sticks
new bibs
new pants
new shirt
new boots
1/3 interest in 470 acres
new compass watch
Old 08-26-2004, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do think that you're a freak but that has nothing at all to do with this. But no I don't think that there's anything wrong with keeping the same equipment year after year, although I personally love to buy new stuff.
Old 08-26-2004, 01:46 PM

I love having new stuff, I just don't like buying it. But I still do.
Old 08-26-2004, 02:25 PM
Typical Buck

Double Creek
Non Typical

Status: online RE: Who Cares Less About Equipment (in reply to Cougar Mag)

I spend a lot of money on hunting supplies annually. I'm addicted. I like to buy as much as I can afford.

This year I bought:

new bow
new sight
new rest
new arrows
new stabalizer
new broadheads
new quiver
new fanny pack
3 sets of new climbing sticks
new bibs
new pants
new shirt
new boots
1/3 interest in 470 acres
new compass watch

Formerly known as Belle Island

8/26/2004 2:18:24 PM Report Abuse | ID: 736246

gutshot
Rack Buck

Status: online RE: Who Cares Less About Equipment (in reply to wolfen68)

I do think that you're a freak but that has nothing at all to do with this. But no I don't think that there's anything wrong with keeping the same equipment year after year, although I personally love to buy new stuff.

8/26/2004 2:26:53 PM Report Abuse | ID: 736256

MO_Bowhnter
Fawn

Status: online RE: Who Cares Less About Equipment (in reply to wolfen68)

I love having new stuff, I just don't like buying it. But I still do.

TEAM 3, TEAM 3 all you other teams WE can't be beat.

That rhymes right?

You guys are no help[] But thanks to adams, livbucks, IBM, and Cougar
Old 08-26-2004, 02:30 PM

Part of my addiction to bowhunting is buying and trying new stuff. But if I find something I really like I stick with it. Example a old man grandvision is the only climbing stand I will ever use. I love it so I bought 6 of em. I think I will be set with climbers for the rest of my life.

Quick Reply: Who Cares Less About Equipment

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.