Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Who Cares Less About Equipment >

Who Cares Less About Equipment

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Who Cares Less About Equipment

Old 08-26-2004, 02:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Who Cares Less About Equipment

Wolfen68, take a look at my current, tried 'n true, bow. I still shoot this bow with Easton XX75 Camo Hunter #2315's and don't see a need to switch. This ol' bow is still shooting straight, and lethally accurate. There is a certain feel and it's simple, rugged and reliable.

I have picked up Martin's, Parker's, Hoyt's, and that new wicked fast Fred Bear model. I just can't see buying a new bow at this moment, when I am still enjoying shooting my old PSE Edge Series 1000C bow.

Butch A.
Old 08-26-2004, 02:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

It used to be that gearing up and the "tech" end of things were as much fun as the hunting. However, the older I have gotten the more it has gotten to be about the hunting and less about the equipment.
Old 08-26-2004, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like to tinker with things when I'm getting a new setup, but once I got it down I don't want to be bothered with thinking about it. When I buy anything, be it bow, gun, muzzleloader or even clothes and treestands, I like to set it and forget it, like Ron Popiel says. I like to buy something of decent quality and then wear the living crap out of it for years and years.
To me, the adrenaline rush of buying something new all the time is not why I hunt. I am a hunter and the bow and guns are just the tools I use to pursue my hobby, I don't give a crap about that "new car smell". If I hunt my whole life with one bow, a couple of guns, one ML and the same old treestands, then that will be okey dokey. Would things be different though if I had a pile of money to spend on it all the time, I don't know.

My old bow sure is purdy though with it's warm feel in my hand and the soft shimmer of the reflections in the natural tones of her limbs.........OH BOY! HERE I GO AGAIN! I SURE DO LOVE HER!.......
Old 08-26-2004, 06:46 PM
Fork Horn

I agree,
The only time I will purchase new equipment is if something unfixable happens.
I have been shooting the same Bear split limb for about 6 years now and dont think I will replace it until I ABSOLUTELY have to. It shoots great and "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Old 08-26-2004, 06:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

I normally don't buy new equipment unless its worn out. I am not the type to need the latest gadget and expensive stuff. I will pay for quality when I need to, but typically can find good deals without breaking the bank.
Old 08-26-2004, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I bought my current bow in 1986, I think, and it still serves me well. Not changing anytime soon. And I'm not a once a year bowhunter. I probably climb in the stand 30+ times a year.

Hell, the deer don't know what brand my bow is...they just know that the arrow passing through them is not a good thing.
Old 08-27-2004, 01:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wolfen,

The last thing I would say is your a freak, your system and philosophy works for you. Your satisfied and your harvesting the animals your after right? why would you wanna change anything?

I don't think there is anything wrong with owning a new bow or a bow from what ever year as long as the hunter shooting it is proficient and confident with it. The last thing expensive shooting equipment is gonna do is make someone a better hunter... now maybe a little better shooter..... that may be argued. I do believe a hunter can stack the odds in his favor more by eliminating as much human scent as possible by following a strict scent free approach and using scent elimating clothing, but is it necessary to kill mature animals? nope..... history proves that, but theres that what if and what might have been when the wind changes or that animal is wise enough to circle downwind and you never knew he had snuck in and snuck out. Personally I care about the afformentioned scenario, so I choose the extreme scent free approach, but its a lot of work in most folks mind. The public land critters I hunt here are pretty reliant on their noses and the fickle swirling winds and thermals in the mountains will make a joke out of term prevailing winds. Light a campfire in mountainous country and watch it change directions every couple minutes. When I hunted in Alberta in the Bowzone it was just the opposite, prevailing winds, you could check with on the weather channel, it amazed me the drastic difference compared to back home. I can see why some folks in the right terrain have no problem with just playing the wind.

I still have my first bow, 1980s model Clearwater Mag my backup bow, sweet shooting ole dual wheel bow, I'd hunt with in a second if needed. I shoot a new bowtech, cause is shoots flatter and harder than my older bow and is much sweeter to pull and practice with, it just feels dang good too shoot. I feel that makes me a more accurate shooter at distances over 30 yards, and my max range is 40 on elk and deer.....but better hunter...nope that bowtech doesnt have anything to do with patterning critters and constructing a game plan to kill em. I combined old tried and true equipment with some new, I still shoot two blade cut on contact heads, the best penetration around imo. I shoot my ole scott release, will probably till it falls apart, I dont even care if I wear camo colored clothing, I just usually wear a dark green to blend in with the conifer trees.