Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Another new bowhunter - what should I do >

Another new bowhunter - what should I do

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Another new bowhunter - what should I do

Old 08-26-2004, 09:37 AM

Default Another new bowhunter - what should I do

Hello! Thanks for all the great answers I have been getting on this board. Well, I have been making adjustments to my bow and practicing, practicing, practicing. I think I'm doing pretty well and have put up my ladder stand (along a doe trail) in the woods on the property I own and practiced shooting out of it once in the middle of the day. That went pretty well. I have seen lots of does coming through in the evening since then when watching from a distance but no bucks yet. I actually had a close encounter with a doe and her two little ones by accident but just strolled by them not making eye contact and they never moved until I had left.

Anyway, I am excited to head out for the first time when our season in Minnesota opens next month but wanted to get some opinions. Where I live, you can take one doe or buck by archery ($26), but you could also buy an "all season license" ($78) that allows you to take one of both by archery.

Now I don't want to be too cocky or overly confident but I know there are plenty of does coming through. Say I lucked out my first year and got one early. I might be kicking myself for not getting the all season license to have a chance at a buck later on. But then again, I might be lucky to get one doe all season if anything at all. I guess I'm thinking that getting the all season license might be like an insurance policy that would allow me to hunt more should everything fall into place early on. I know its ultimately up to me but what do you think? Should I get the all season license, or just be happy with whatever I can get early on (if I can) because I am so excited that as long as it doesn't have spots, I will probably try to take it this first season. Also, The all-season license allows you to shotgun or muzzleload hunt during those seasons to get your second deer.
Old 08-26-2004, 09:49 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Another new bowhunter - what should I do

If it were me, I would buy the all season tag. I would rather spend a few extra bucks, and not get the 2nd deer, then miss out on hunting the rest of the season because used my only tag opening morning. JMHO. Good luck in what ever you decide!
Old 08-26-2004, 09:56 AM

I also would get the all season tag. I try to shoot a doe early to get some meat in the freezer(I love venison) and then I hunt for show. You may luck out a get a shot at a nice buck first but odds are you'll see plenty of does before old mossyhorns steps into range. Besides it's only money
Old 08-26-2004, 09:59 AM
Typical Buck

I would get the all season tag. Never go in to the woods under licensed. Trust in your abilities and you will be happy with the results. Good luck and show us what you shoot.
Old 08-26-2004, 12:14 PM

I would get the all season tag. With my luck, I would get a doe early, and then a monster would come by, only to keep going because I have already tagged out for archery!!!
Old 08-26-2004, 01:23 PM

Thanks for all the responses. I agree with them and am fairly sure now I will still go that way. The other benefit is that if I have as great of a time as I think I will, I wouldn't want the season to end early if I tagged a doe right away! Thanks again. I really enjoy reading this board and hopefully will be able to show you a picture in the next few months.
Old 08-26-2004, 03:46 PM

Bought a sportsman's license for $33. I get to shoot 3 bucks and 5 does with archery. I get small game, dove, duck, ect. I paid $11 for a duck stamp so the total is $44. Down here we pretty much get as many deer as we want. 8 deer is plenty for me. Makes me think how lucky we are.
Old 08-26-2004, 04:39 PM
Typical Buck

I'm in MN also. I bought the all season tag last year and will get it again this year. I shot a doe within a couple days of opener then hunted the rest of the season. I had a great time but didn't get the buck I wanted. I sure spotted a few that sould be nice this year if they made it through the winter. I've had a few seasons where I shot a deer the first day of the season. The rest of the season is torcher because you will want to be in the stand hunting. I guess I did alot more bird hunting them years.

I don't think I like that they are letting you party hunt on the all season tag this year though.

All season (fire arms, archery, black powder,)
1 doe 1 buck archery or black powder
1 doe archery or black powder, 1 buck fire arms.
1 doe 1 buck fire arms if you get a doe permit.
Old 08-26-2004, 05:00 PM

Just curious, but what in gods heaven would you want to kill eight deer for?