Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 First crossbow; need advice >

First crossbow; need advice

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

First crossbow; need advice

Old 08-25-2004, 01:28 PM

Default First crossbow; need advice

At age 56 I just bought my first crossbow. I found a used Horton Hunter Supreme with scope mount and quiver. I paid $125 and was pleased with the way it shot in the back yard (like I know what it is supposed to shoot like). I also got a Horton scope on eBay for it.

It is a 150# bow and I wondered if anyone would care to give advice as to the best type bolt and hunting head for whitetail deer? Best weight head? I contacted Horton and they said 20 inch bolts, so if you have advice on the best brand or on what type hunting heads to use, slap it on me. TIA.
Old 08-25-2004, 01:42 PM

Default RE: First crossbow; need advice

Check out Cabela's for the bolts....any xx75 bolt will do...the reason I say this is, is because the crossbow bolts are shorter than a regular arrow...so straightness won't really make a difference...(even though they should be as straight as possible) the xx75 or any aluminum bolt will do...I really don't think there is any need for carbon crossbow bolts...a good head I think would be 100 gr. spitfires...yes they are expensive but they get the job done...for something less expensive try the shockwaves both work great! Good Luck!!
Old 08-25-2004, 01:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

check out this website http://www.crossbow.com/ horton makes some pretty nice crossbows.
Old 08-25-2004, 02:12 PM

I'm not much help when it comes to xcrossbows but I see you're a new member and I want to welcome you to the forum

Thanks for joining us
Old 08-25-2004, 03:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Befus, Had a horton for 6 years. What I found is the horton 20 or 22 inch bolts and 125 thunderheads worked good. What ever you do always make sure the bolt is at least 400 grams. Always keep the rails well lubed and string well waxed. I retired mine cause I needed one with a built in cranking unit. Good luck. Oh I dont reccommend shots over 25 yards.
Old 08-25-2004, 03:16 PM

Never shoot a crossbow with out a bolt. Also I gave my wife a bolt with a target tip on it so when she comes in from hunting she can shoot it into the ground to unload it.