Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Crossbow advice please >

Crossbow advice please

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Crossbow advice please

Old 01-12-2006, 04:58 PM

Default Crossbow advice please

I'm looking at purchasing a crossbow for hunting primarily Elk. Regulations in my area (B.C.) state that I must have a draw weight of 150lbs or a bolt weight of 250 grains with a minimum cut width of 1 1/16". I was looking in a catalog and found lots of tips in the 125 grain range so I assume the entire bolt weight will make up the 250 grain weight. So I could if I chose use a 50lb bow with a 250grain bolt or a 150 lb bow with a lighter bolt. What are the advantages/disadvantages of a lighter bolt/heavier bow vs hevier bolt/lighter bow? Initially I was thinking I would just get a 150lb bow and use whatever bolt I wanted.

I've been looking around the interweb at crossbows and find a huge disparity in price. I assume the ones on ebay that come with a scope for $59 are probably crap. What brands are good and what would be a decent price to pay for a decent crossbow. I'm inclined to go with a straight bow as opposed to a compound just because of the simplicity of them.

Any and all insight appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 01-12-2006, 06:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Crossbow advice please

Manard,

For starters I would stick with the more reputable names....Horton, Excalibur, Tenpoint. I would include Barnett as well but the local shop has just been receiving way too many Barnetts returned for repairs for me to recommend them.

Second, almost all, if not all of the models from each of the manufacturers in question are offered with at least a 150 pound draw weight. None less to my knowledge and many with substantially more. If you buy one from one of these manufacturers as a kit then they will include bolts that I can guarantee you are over 250 grains. In my opinion 250 grains is exceptionally light for a crossbow of such weight.

My two suggestions for a decent but not too expensive crossbow would be either something like the Horton Explorer 150 or the Tenpoint TL-4. The Horton (as a package deal) is priced a tad over $300 most places. The Tenpoint model is placed right at $500. Buy either from a reputable shop and you will be in business without any extra worries.
Old 01-12-2006, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

i have my eye on a excaliber crossbow. there lighter than the others i have held. also cant go wrong with a 10 point. i would go hold a couple to get an idea. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...h-results1.jsp
Old 01-12-2006, 07:57 PM

Get a horton or an excaliber and you have a good bow. If you want straight limbs that means you want an excaliber. It is always nice to have a faster bow. You can always go bigger thanwhat the regs say. I suggest the excaliber exocet at 175 lb.Probably the best bow on the market.

[/align]