Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 DEER DRIVE ON OLN >

DEER DRIVE ON OLN

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

DEER DRIVE ON OLN

Old 09-01-2004, 10:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: DEER DRIVE ON OLN

There is nothing better then driving around the ranch that you own, drinking a margarita, and deer hunting all at the same time.
This guy is the reason why gun control SHOULD happen. Even if he's joking it is a very bad one. Texas hunters, you should unite and tie this guy to a post on a fire ant hill.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:52 AM
Fork Horn

Bottom line is: drives are a long standing tradition in some parts of the country, as is baiting, rifle hunting, hounds, etc., etc. What we have to remember is, it is all HUNTING and if we continue to divide ourselves none of us will have to worry about it in the future. None of us like the anti's trying to force their beliefs on us. Why force our favorite hunting "styles" on each other? To each his own.
Old 09-01-2004, 11:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

To each his own.
Not when it comes to the Txhighrack Trifecta of Drinking, Driving, and shooting.
Old 09-01-2004, 11:21 AM

ORIGINAL: fletch920

Bottom line is: drives are a long standing tradition in some parts of the country, as is baiting, rifle hunting, hounds, etc., etc. What we have to remember is, it is all HUNTING and if we continue to divide ourselves none of us will have to worry about it in the future. None of us like the anti's trying to force their beliefs on us. Why force our favorite hunting "styles" on each other? To each his own.
True
Old 09-01-2004, 04:39 PM

Handles:

This guy is the reason why gun control SHOULD happen.
Should happen??? I think as a hunter, that is much more worse to say then what I did. Do you happen to be one of those liberals out east??? Hey what I do on my property is my bussiness, dont worry about it.

quote:

To each his own.

Not when it comes to the Txhighrack Trifecta of Drinking, Driving, and shooting.

And why is that?? There ain't nobody around for miles, and if they are close by that means there trespassing. And besides I never said I was driving, or that there was any alcohol in the margaritas.
Old 09-01-2004, 06:21 PM
Spike

Did not see the show however, i hunt a lot in Bradford County, PA on pretty large pieces of private land and to tell you the truth for the past 18 years i have been hunting nothing compares to these guys in PA. They crowd the border of the private land (which is just their own private land) and bang away at every thing that moves. i makes i great for me because during the day you can see up to 25 deer per day...but what gets me is that these guys are taking 4 to 5 shots at each passing deer...thank god that they don't allow semi autos in PA and for bow season when there are only a few turkey hunters out there.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:04 PM
Typical Buck

I agree with the folks saying here that it's BS to sit and bash each other's hunting tactics. That being said, if you don't like how someone else hunts, who cares?? Will flaming other people here do any good?
I live in Wisconsin, and YES, the "drive" is a huge part of rifle hunting here. As stated in another post, after opening weekend, the deer start to sit pretty tight. If this show was allegedly filmed in WI, how old was it? I believe it was stated that the hunters were using buckshot? I could be wrong. I've been hunting for almost 20 years now, and buckshot was outlawed for use on deer long before I even started hunting. I will also state, that believe it or not, when using a rifle, it takes quite a bit of skill to hit a deer that is running, and NO I have never lost a deer I hit on a drive. I am an AVID bowhunter, and personally would quit rifle hunting long before giving up the bow, but I don't look down on people that don't bowhunt. I have a tendancy to get annoyed when a strictly rifle hunter bad mouths bowhunters in general, but I'm sure most of us would. We have to remember that there ARE bad apples in every group; including us bowhunters. I've personally met more than my fare share of the "so called" bowhunters that put a paper plate on a bale of hay and shoot a few arrows at it, and IF they hit it a couple times call it "good enough." I say WTF is wrong with THAT picture? If you're going to hunt these majestic creatures, at LEAST give them the respect to be SURE you can kill them them QUICKLY and equally important....CLEANLY. I say to each their own, as long as SAFETY is always the first priority! That is all.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:44 PM

I do not agree with their tactics but at the same time to each their own. The practices in that show are exactly why I pickedup a bow and haven't looked back.

The statment that bothered me the most was when they said that they would put the ones on stand that didn't get alot of shooting in the day before. Not just a shot but not alot of shooting how much shooting do you need to harvest your animal. I would think one shot two at the most should suffice for any animal that you may hunt. Makeing sure that everyone gets alot of shooting in seems to me to be as un safe as possible were does all the lead go that doesn't wind up in the animal with all the people in the game I am suprised that nobody has been shot there yet.
Old 09-01-2004, 11:17 PM

Driving deer is a valid, effective way to harvest deer and has been used for countless years. I have done it many many many many times. There is skill involved.......you have to know where the deer are gonna head when they try to get outta dodge.

Anyways there are hunting methods that personally I would not want to take part in............hunting with dogs and baiting are two that come to mind. Just because I don't like them personally doesn't mean I fail to see that others do and they are as much a part of huntings history and future as the methods I enjoy.

If you don't like it..............don't do it.

Just don't try and force your ways on other people. We are all individuals and adults, we should be able to decide what is right and wrong for ourselves.........not others.

Be very careful............or it won't be long until you find yourself trying to defend YOUR methods and traditions..........don't think it can't happen.
Old 09-01-2004, 11:33 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: TXhighrack
There is nothing better then driving around the ranch that you own, drinking a margarita, and deer hunting all at the same time. MAN I LOVE IT, only 2 months before rifle season.
what ever

Quick Reply: DEER DRIVE ON OLN

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.