Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Montec's G5's Sharp ? >

Montec's G5's Sharp ?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Montec's G5's Sharp ?

Old 08-23-2004, 09:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Montec's G5's Sharp ?

I'm just wondering if using my new Montec G5's are sharp enough to use out of the package.I don't want to try to sharpen them any more in case I ruin one ,but if they have to be sharpened first ,then what's the best way to sharpen them?

nubo
Old 08-23-2004, 10:24 AM

Default RE: Montec's G5's Sharp ?

here are a couple threads with useful info

http://forum.hunting.net/asppg/tm.as...harpen&#644538

http://forum.hunting.net/asppg/tm.as...harpen&#690834
Old 08-23-2004, 10:51 AM

Nubo this should help saw it before on another forum.

However, if you go with the Montecs, you should find this useful-

I have decided to use the Montec broadheads this year, like many others on this board. But The whole sharpening process, while seemingly simple has never produced the edge that I have strived to attain. Well tonight I stumbled upon a darn near foolproof method to get these things scary sharp. The first thing, is that you do not need the diamond stone that they recomend. I dumped $30 for a diamond stone at Lowes this weekend, only to find out that I could not get a decent edge using it. Here is my approach:I started with the heads right out of the tube.Get a new flat piece of 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper, lay it on a flat surface and begin to sharpen the head as they recomend (push the head, point first, away from you). Keep stroking the same side until all of the side to side tooling marks have been removed from the blade edges and have been replaced with a very fine pattern of lines running front to back.Repeat for the other 2 sides of the broadhead. It took between 10 and 15 strokes per side to make all of the original lines disappear. Now change to a piece of 2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper and lay it down on the table and repeat the previous process. For this step the fine lines left by the 600 girt paper will be replaced by a near mirror edge on the blades. Keep stroking until the entire length of the blades is highly polished. As you work the blades, a gray streak will develop down the paper. Keep stroking over this stripe. As the grit fills up, it effectively becomes a lower and lower grit, putting a better edge on the blades. It took me about 5 minutes per head, and the result was all of them ending up sharp enough to shave the hair off my arm.
Old 08-24-2004, 07:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

ldial! I picked up some 600grit and some 2000grit today and I'll give your advice a try .Thank's for your help guy's .

nubo