Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

He's dead

Old 08-19-2004, 07:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default He's dead

Well it happened once again. The buck I was really interested in ended up on the grill of a car last night.This is the fourth time it has happened.[:@]

I hunted a large 10 pt last year,even hunted him with the bow during gun season. Had him at 45 yards in a field two days before thanksgiving. Didn't take the shot at that distance because things weren't right.

Scouting this buck started the day late bow season ended.My son and I were determined to figure him out and we did.We spent numerous hours figureing out his pattern and finding the right ambush spot. This is my sons first year bowhunting I would have loved for him to take him or even see this deer out of a stand we had placed together. Ah well what can you do.
Old 08-19-2004, 07:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: He's dead

I had the same thing happen last year. I was following a nice 10pt and as far as I could tell he was the only legal buck on the property I was hunting. (Antler restrictions) After not seeing him for the first 2 weeks of archery I found out from the landowner that someone had hit him one evening about 3 weeks prior to the season starting.
Old 08-19-2004, 07:58 AM

Tough break Charlie.

It almost seems like driving country roads is the best way to harvest a mature deer. They sure know how to avoid hunters but have a heck of a time avoiding cars. I sure do hope you can fine another nice buck to put your kid on.
Old 08-19-2004, 08:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

I'll be happy with any deer he gets,but boy this one would have been great. Especially since he helped and put so much time in it with me. I'm not the type of guy who does all the leg work and then puts Jr. in a stand. He was crawling through thickets in January and Febuary with about ten inches of snow on the ground figureing out where he was bedding. Then after hunting Turkey till noon in the spring we were trimming shooting lanes.
Old 08-19-2004, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's too bad. I hope this doesn't discourage him. Keep looking because maybe another big guy will come in and claim the territory. Good luck to you and your son and enjoy the time now. My son is 16 and I think he will be too busy chasing the 2 legged deer this fall to get out much. Sure will miss him out there.
Old 08-19-2004, 08:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Very sorry to hear that. I've seen it happen numerous times at a friends farm which is closer to the city.
Old 08-19-2004, 10:57 AM

sorry to hear about that. we had somebody stop at our house one night during the rut saying they had hit a huge buck that was chasing a doe. i was up at day break the next day looking for sign. i knew if he had died he woudl be easy to find because the woods was 650 yards from the road. i found a set of tracks which were about 3 1/2 year oldish looking. we drove the truck around that CRP but we didnt find him or any sign that he was dead. i hadnt ever seen him, must have been running does or soemthing.

good luck charlie, hope you find another slob to hunt.

slayr
Old 08-19-2004, 11:16 AM

My son is 16 and I think he will be too busy chasing the 2 legged deer this fall to get out much. Sure will miss him out there.
Wihunter402,

I passed that phase not so long ago(well 10 years ago). You'll get him back when he's 21 or 22.
Not to say I didn't appreciate the time I spent with my father when I was younger but I sure do appreciate him a lot more now that I'm a little older and a lot more mature.. I can see every hunt is a memory that will last a lifetime and I cherish ever moment we spend together. You'll get him back soon enough
Old 08-19-2004, 11:20 AM

Charlie that's a tough one to hear, but to throw a different spin on things....how much did your son learn about deer, deer activity and learning some deer behavior?? I would assume a lot. That information is invaluable! Sure you won't be able to hookup with that big boy, but there will always be another. Not to mention your son was able to spend time with dad out in the woods! That's also invaluable!
Old 08-19-2004, 11:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

I realize that Stump, but it still ticks me off.

Quick Reply: He's dead

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.