Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

He's dead

Old 08-19-2004, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: He's dead

I passed that phase not so long ago(well 10 years ago). You'll get him back when he's 21 or 22.
Not to say I didn't appreciate the time I spent with my father when I was younger but I sure do appreciate him a lot more now that I'm a little older and a lot more mature.. I can see every hunt is a memory that will last a lifetime and I cherish ever moment we spend together. You'll get him back soon enough
Thanks Adams. I'm sure much like the age of 16 got here way too fast that 22 will be coming just as quick. I also think by then he will realize, much like you, that every hunt is a special memory.
Old 08-19-2004, 02:47 PM

Greg Miller wrote about this in his book Aggresive Whitetail Hunting. he said he patterned a buck to a T and then some guy whacked him during rifle season. You just gotta shrug it off and start looking for other deer. can't be swept up in one deer. right now i've got a big 10 point that im staking out claims on but if he gets killed by somebody else i got hte mindset to know that i have other large deer to hunt and it wasnt my buck in the first place.

slayer
Old 08-19-2004, 03:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry Dude, Keep on Truckin, Good luck with your son
Old 08-19-2004, 03:03 PM

You do have to just shrug it off when it happens. My worst experience was about three years ago. I had patterned a nice 8 point on my lease. He had a very distinctive rack due to a broken tine on the right side. One morning late in the season I am on my way to the prperty and 1 mile from the gate the very same buck runs out of the woods and into the side of my jeep. He bounced off and I thought he might have made it but I turned around and found him in the ditch with a broken neck. I was not a happy camper.
Old 08-19-2004, 03:08 PM

[:@] Tough luck Charlie p.. I agree 100% with Stump. Your lad learned so much by doing the dirty work and then seeing his prize buck taken from you two is an invaluable lesson. Now he knows that STUFF HAPPENS. in the big picture he will mature faster becuase of the loss. You boys dust your britches and get back to scouting. It will teach the young man that life sometimes is not fair and you just have to keep the faith by doing the best you can. Enjoy those moments with him, Charlie. My boy, Joe is off to college in 6 days and I want to tell you I'm going to be one forlorn hunter/dad until he returns for a bow hunt this fall. As always, Good luck, my friend.