Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I've changed opinion of Stan Potts >

I've changed opinion of Stan Potts

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I've changed opinion of Stan Potts

Old 08-17-2004, 04:47 AM

Default RE: I've changed opinion of Stan Potts

I don't mind Stan on the North American Whitetail show. Its a pretty decent show but I don't think he is a great hunter just because of his trophy room. I'm not bragging on what a great hunter I am but I've been hunting for 24 years myself and put alot of effort into Bowhunting and have gained alot of experience over the years and the biggest differnce between me and him is the areas we hunt. I could only dream about hunting the areas that he does. This is not to say that he was bragging by showing his trophys and he may very well admit that he has great places to hunt so he greats great deer.
Old 08-17-2004, 09:07 AM

I wonder if North American Whitetail knows how many people have a bad opinion of Stann. I saw 1 show where Stann made it a point to pass on a long gun shot, saying it was too long. If I recall, it was only about 2 hundred yards. Maybe a little scriped P.R.?
Old 08-17-2004, 10:31 AM

No matter where you live, you've got to be a great bowhunter to harvest that many mature bucks with a bow. Sure, anyone can luck into 1 or 2, but when you start getting into double digit mounts of 150 class bucks, your looking at a great hunter.

It amazes me how people cannot put their ego aside and admit when someone is a great hunter.
Old 08-17-2004, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

double,

I do think is a good hunter. I also think he has some ego issues and not real likeable. I think that's were the majority of the "resistance" comes from. But you are correct. There of tons of guys that live in prime whitetail habitat that hunt HARD that don't have those kinds of deer on the wall. If that were the case every bowhunter in West Central Illinois should have multple trophies on the wall, shouldn't they?
Old 08-17-2004, 03:24 PM

I'm gonna play devil's advocate on this one. Yeah, stan potts may have an ego issue, but just because he hunts in trophy rich areas and kills slob bucks doesnt mean its just luck. a mature whitetail is very very hard to kill. sure, you might get luck once and a great while, but to kill them as consistently as stan potts or mitch rompola or any of the archery greats, is damn hard. those guys put the hours in season after sesaon and it pays off.

Danny, its often very hard to judge distances on TV or videos. i doubt he would pass up a 200 yard shot.]

slayer
Old 08-17-2004, 03:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

how much did those bad boys cost him (ie, private land, canned hunts, high fenced leases etc etc)
Old 08-17-2004, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator

If you want big deer, you have to hunt where the big ones are. He has the opportunity to do that.
Thats it in a nutshell. The number 1 ingredient is having access to big bucks. I've only caught him on the Outdoor Channel once, I enjoyed the show, will hold my judgement of his personality after more viewing.
Old 08-17-2004, 04:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

I personally like Stan the man Potts.

I love his enthusiasm. You can see it in his eyes how much he loves big bucks. His eyes just glow when he is talking about deer hunting. He is my kind of guy.