Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

[Deleted]

Old 02-26-2002, 06:44 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-26-2002, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I'm a beginner to bow hunting, need help!

I hate to sound like a broken record, but the only sure fire way to get set up correctly is to find a quality "proshop". One with a good reputation, that will take the time to measure you and set you up properly. Their are some books avalible that will realy help you get started, but they are not a short cut. Find a good shop and let them help you out, and get you started correctly.

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING AND YOU WON'T BE HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS
Old 02-26-2002, 07:40 PM

As another skip in the broken record, I'd go with 5 shot's suggestion. You'll find your bowhunting experience a lot less frustrating at the beginning.

"Hunt smart, know your target and beyond"
Old 02-26-2002, 07:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Take into account that this will probably not be compatible with majority thinking.

I recommend starting out with either a round wheel or mild dual cam bow around 40" axle to axle. Get one that has a generous brace height, no less than 7" an 8" would be even better. Get a bow that you can draw easily at peak weight, then drop that weight by 5 pounds to work on your shooting form.

Don't spend a lot of money on that first bow because you will learn to like and dislike certain features. If you spend a lot of money, you will either be stuck with something you don't really care for or you'll take a beating when you sell it. Very few people wind up actually liking their first bow and we all wind up wanting something different before long. Wait to spend the big bucks when you find out what your likes and dislikes are.

Lots of new guys let themselves be talked into buying the fastest bow on the market and all the paraphernalia to go with it, then get frustrated because they can't hit anything and then they quit. You want to start out with a bow that is easy to tune and easy to shoot.

Once you learn the basics of tuning and shooting form, then you can exercise the option to go to a high performance bow.

In my opinion, a beginner should look real hard at the PSE Nova with the Vector wheel.
Old 02-26-2002, 10:52 PM

Now for something totally different. I did a cross between 5shot and Arthur P. I went to a pro-shop and the guy told me what to look for, measured my draw length and explained many of the basics. He didn't presure me to buy from him but would like the chance when it came time to spend the bucks on a high end bow. I went to my local Farem & Fleet, bought a bow that matched the needs plus a sight, rest and few other small trinkets. I walked out for around 200.00 US. I then took the bow back to pro-shop and he checked it out and congrated me for the beginning of the sport. Needless to say, he now one year later has me looking at HOYTS. IF the pro shop is worth anything in my opinion, it will help you in set up and budget.
Old 02-27-2002, 05:22 AM

DeerThug,

Sounds like you have a smart Pro-shop owner. A good businessman never, I mean never, offends a customer. Always look towards that future business if you can't get a customer's current business.

As for the beginner's bow. I would also recommend the brace height in the 8" range, 40+" length, and an easy to pull draw weight. I wouldn't necessarily recommend a dual cam bow, because a beginner will probably not even attempt to keep the cams timed. If the draw weight is low enough, they should be able to handle any single cam bow, though the two cam bows will come cheaper. If they are willing to take a two cam bow to a proshop to check the timing at least once every six months, then the two cam would be the best choice. Without a doubt, a round wheel bow would be easiest to learn on.

The number one most important consideration is to get a bow with the proper draw length. If you error on this, make sure it's on the short side. If you don't know your proper draw length, then that is where you need to start. There is lots of info on that in the archives of this forum and/or the technical forum. Good luck!
Old 02-27-2002, 07:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have to agree with everyone in a way. Don't let anyone talk you into buying the fastest thing out there, or the shortest. A longer axle to axle bow is going to better to start with as well as a higher brace height.

Visiting a respected proshop is a must....
Old 02-27-2002, 07:44 AM

My best advice: register here at HuntingNet.com. By doing so, you will become part of the greatest place on the net for information regarding bowhunting. I have learned more here than anywhere else except my treestand.
Old 02-27-2002, 08:41 AM
Typical Buck

If I may add to the gret advice already given, is to try to shoot different bows and dont be pressured into buying what someone else thinks you should but only what you like and can afford.
Old 02-27-2002, 04:08 PM

p-s-e 70%let off