Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Why is draw weight important? >

Why is draw weight important?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why is draw weight important?

Old 08-12-2004, 04:30 PM

Default Why is draw weight important?

If each extra pound of draw weight only adds a few fps, then why do you guys pull so much? Is it because you want a heavier arrow, or am I just not thinking about how much fps a lb will add?
Old 08-12-2004, 04:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Why is draw weight important?

KE
Old 08-12-2004, 05:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, by shooting a heavier draw weight you can shoot a heavier arrow and have more energy and momentum.

I tell ya though Zak, the older I get the more appealing a 60# draw weight bow sure makes me less sore and my joints hurt a lot less. I guess that's what shooting 3D @ 80# for a couple of years will do to ya. I'm probably looking at getting a Black Knight next year, but with a 60# draw instead of 70#.
Old 08-12-2004, 05:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Given the same bow set up used each time...............

The more weight you can pull the faster you can shoot a given arrow and the more energy and momentum it will have. Also you can shoot heavier and heavier arrows at the same speed as you once did the lighter arrows and get more energy and momentum from the arrows.

The more energy you have the easier it is to get an arrow all the way through your intended animal. Deer do not require much energy to blow all the way through them. Once you start shooting at elk and moose you want that extra energy.

Same thing goes for draw length. But for us adults that have stopped growing this is a non factor. For growing kids though this is important.
Old 08-12-2004, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

As far as I'm concerned...I shoot heavier for a flatter trajectory.

With my 74# compound, I get pass throughs every time I don't hit the shoulder bone. With my 55# recurce, I get a pass through when I don't hit a rib.
Old 08-12-2004, 06:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Zak, you may be young and haven't found this out yet, but this is America where everybody (almost) thinks bigger, stronger, and heavier is better. Then you get to be an oldster and figure out that you've abused your body all the past years and a lot of the aches and pains are ways for it to pay you back.

Just for comparison, you do not necessarily get a faster arrow by shooting more weight. More weight demands a heavier, stiffer arrow. I am shooting a 55lb bow this year. My draw is 27.5". My hunting setup is shooting 280+fps. In the past I have shot 500gr arrows doing 180-190fps. Doesn't make any difference. A double-lung shot means a dead deer. I have never had an arrow that didn't pass completely through unless it hit heavy bone. The most weight I have ever shot was 63lbs. But I can shoot them very accurately with no strain when drawing. I hope this sheds a little light on things for ya.
Old 08-12-2004, 06:31 PM

Zak, you may be young and haven't found this out yet, but this is America where everybody (almost) thinks bigger, stronger, and heavier is better.
Huh... And here I was all this time thinking that that was Texas...