Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 first post!  I just ordered a Mathews Outback. >

first post! I just ordered a Mathews Outback.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

first post! I just ordered a Mathews Outback.

Old 08-10-2004, 12:50 PM

Default first post! I just ordered a Mathews Outback.

About 2-3 years ago I spent the entire fall bow hunting in the timber. Because of various life issues and work issues I have not bow hunted since. Shotgun season is so dang crowded! I really wanted to hunt again. I decided that my High Country needed to be upgraded. I went to a local shop with a friend who is a bow hunter. I was sold on the Outback. I ordered it ($650) since he was out of 29" draw. I am pretty much sold on: single pin, quick release, whisker biskit, and carbon arrows. Beyond that I have forgotten most of the the stuff I need.

Any suggestions?
What do you guys think of the Outback?

Thanks

Steve
Old 08-10-2004, 12:55 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: first post! I just ordered a Mathews Outback.

Sounds like a great setup to me! Welcome, and good luck this fall!
Old 08-10-2004, 12:56 PM

Stevesondrive,

Welcome to the site. This is a great place to lear and ask questions. I don't have any experience with the Outback but I'm sure someone will.

Tom
Old 08-10-2004, 01:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll echo mammasboy, sounds like a good setup so far. Are you asking for bow accessories or hunting accessories?

Welcome!!! Good to see ur getting back in the woods!
Old 08-10-2004, 01:09 PM

Default bow accessories

I am looking for advice on bow accessories. I hadn't even thought about hunting accessories. I still have my shotgun camo and stuff.
Old 08-10-2004, 03:12 PM

Congrats steve, the outback is an absolutely superb bow! I shoot my LX with everything listed in my signature below plus string leeches. i shoot a TRU Ball Tornado release. Carbon Express CX hunters are probably the best carbon arrows on the market as of now. i paid $120 for a dozen,but it was well worth it. I shot the outback and the LX and picked the LX because i liked it slightly more. the outback is sweet, very short, and accurate. between those two, its a matter of personal preferance.

Where you from Steve?

slayer
Old 08-11-2004, 06:18 AM

I live in Springfield Illinois and hunt near Palmyra at my uncle's farm. $10 an arrow is probably more than I wanna spend. When did carbon arrows make an appearance? What is the advantage over aluminum?

Steve
Old 08-11-2004, 04:13 PM

dunno how long carbons have been around, but they are better than aluminum for sure..they dont bend, they're slimmer, and lighter. you can get Carbon Express Terminator selects for alot less than CX hunters...Goldtips are also very good carbon arrows.

slayer
Old 08-11-2004, 07:15 PM

Good bow choice! I just got my Outback paper tuned and ready to go. I basically have the same set-up as Deerslayer-37 for accessories: Tru-Ball Tornado release, whisker biscuit,Doinker stabilizer, HHA Optimizer 5000 one pin sight, string leeches and limbsavers,Tru-peep D-loop and peep sight,and braided wrist sling. Shooting Cabela's Stalker Extreme 65/80 carbon arrows with Muzzy 100gr 4 blade heads.
I had problems tuning but a new release and more patience made the job alot easier! HAVE FUN!!