Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 A blast from the past! >

A blast from the past!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

A blast from the past!

Old 08-10-2004, 10:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default A blast from the past!

I was cleaning some things out and found the Virginia Game regs for the 1989-1990 season, it blew my mind!

The largest bag limit for deer in the state were a few counties that allowed 3 deer per season, one per day! Now it is 2 deer a day, and 4 per year in over half the counties!

Two counties back then had no deer season at all, now even they are allowed one antlered buck a year.

Back then the archery seasons were shorter and you were limited to 2-3 deer per year depending on the county (They did not count against the bag limit for gun), now if you are willing to buy extra bonus doe tags you could kill over 100 deer in a single season!

I don't know about deer hunting in other states, but it has sure picked up here in Va.!!

The county I hunted in when I started hunting in the 60's had the most liberal bag limit in the whole state, 2 bucks and one doe during a short buck or doe season.

How about some of you old timers like me sharing how things have changed where you hunt over the years.
Old 08-10-2004, 12:32 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: A blast from the past!

I'm not an old timer, but the regs in WI seem to be changing every year!LOL.
Old 08-10-2004, 03:23 PM

My dad told me several years ago the county we live in had a two day season. he said alot of the guys were very objective when it went to the 9 day season like the rest of the state. i know alot of the guys are mad now because its a T Zone county now, meaning more deer are supposed to be harvested to get the population down.

slayer
Old 08-10-2004, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

When I first started hunting our farm in WV, the limit for ALL seasons was 2 or 3. Now, if you play your cards right, I believe it is 11.

In Ohio, where I live, it was NEVER more than 1 when I was a kid. Then, in the late 70's early 80's, you had to APPLY for the chance to get an antlerless tag. Now, in a good part of the state it's 3, most is 2, and in some of the urban areas, you can kill 5.

Not sure if the conservation has increased that much, or if the state saw $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Seems to be enough deer to support it, though.

I just wonder how many hunters we would still have if you only saw a deer once every 4 or 5 days like when I was a kid in Ohio. It was an absolute marvel to see deer up close where I live back then. Now I see them every time I run to the store.
Old 08-10-2004, 05:24 PM

Wow, nice stat