Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hot in October

Old 08-10-2004, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hot in October

I also quarter them and put in a cooler. The only meat I lost was the ribs, and although my deer last year was pretty small, I didn't lose much. It worked quite well
mobowhuntr - what did you do with the neck? put it in the cooler too then? Don't the roasts come out of the neck?
Old 08-10-2004, 09:55 AM
Fork Horn

A spare fridge helps. I use the freezer in a pinch but you need to finish it all right away. I do it in cycles. Half hour in, twenty minutes out then back in. I also trim down my quaters a bit and use the crisper in the kicthen fridge to store them. I use all of the above methods with good success. It's a juggling act but sure beats having to pay someone to do it.
Old 08-10-2004, 10:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

In october here can get seasonably warm as well,but the evenings and nights are sure to drop in temp.I would hang one in a shed and have it hang there for at least 3 days before i skin it out and butcher it myself.Back in 98 i got one on opening day,it was real warm so i skined it out that day,quartered it and put in a big freezer.
Old 08-10-2004, 11:19 AM

Yep. Put it in the cooler with everything else. Like I said, it was a young'en.

Pretty sure the roast comes from the rump. Anyway, other than the backstraps, I cut the rest up and made sausage.
Old 08-10-2004, 11:26 AM

I do the cooler thing too. I drain it on a regular basis to get the blood out. If it is realy warm outside I will put a couple bags of ice in the cavity till I get home. The money I saved on one deer allowed me to buy a grinder, so the rest is just gravy. I do mine on the wifes counter too but she doesnt seem to mind with all the money she saves at the supermarket.
Old 08-10-2004, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

This may be a stupid question, but do you get all 4 quarters in the cooler? Maybe I just need a bigger cooler.
Old 08-10-2004, 11:43 AM

Back to the refrigerator, you can also pick up a used one for about 50 dollars and then remove all of the shelves and modifiy it so you can hang a deer. You then skin the deer, remove the head and let it hang for a couple three days in the fridge before butchering it.
Old 08-10-2004, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Back to the refrigerator, you can also pick up a used one for about 50 dollars and then remove all of the shelves and modifiy it so you can hang a deer. You then skin the deer, remove the head and let it hang for a couple three days in the fridge before butchering it.
Now thats more like what I was thinking about trying. Do you do this?
Old 08-10-2004, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

skin it cut the bottom legs off, and throw in the deep freeze, till i can get to it.
Old 08-10-2004, 01:01 PM
Dominant Buck

Skin, bone, put on trays and in the fridge for 3 or 4 days. Yeh, it does get crowded, but with only two of us in the house it works. I fold up a glob of paper towels and put in the bottom of the trays to absorb the blood. On top of the paper towels I put a layer of wax paper that I've cut a bunch of slits in to allow the blood to migrate under the wax paper to the paper towels. I cover the whole deal with saran wrap to keep it from absorbing stink from the fridge and drying out.