Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Method for spin testing broadheads? >

Method for spin testing broadheads?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Method for spin testing broadheads?

Old 08-09-2004, 06:31 PM
Typical Buck

Default Method for spin testing broadheads?

Since you have said it is important to spin test my Muzzy's, how should I do this test? I have simply spun them on the kitchen counter but this isn't the easiest method.

I am fairly sure I have 12 arrows that won't spin true b/c i tried most of them. Each of the inserts were somewhat plugged with glue so it was hard to insert the broadhead (and field points). This leads me to believe the glue may be partly responsible for the wobble. It's not bad, but none of them are smooth.
Old 08-09-2004, 10:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Method for spin testing broadheads?

I usually just spin them in my arrow straightener to check them. You can make your own (spin checker) out of just about anything. You can use a cardboard box and a soda can. Just cut out a "V" exactly the same depth in each end of the box , the box should be big enough so your fletchings hang off one end and your broadhead out the other end. Then you can use anything you want such as a soda can or whatever , just elevate it so it's at the same height as your broadhead. Put a small dot on the soda can , place the soda can so the tip of your broadhead is touching the dot , slowly spin the arrow while watching the tip of your broadhead on the dot. If it's good the point of your broadhead will stay inside the dot.

I hope you can make heads or tails of what I tried to explain. When you get to know what your looking for you can just spin them in your hand to check for straightness also , but for liability reasons I'm not going to try and explain that one.

I bet if you did a search on the net you could find a site that explains how to make a homemade spin checker alot better than I explained it.
Old 08-10-2004, 12:33 AM

Actually, I spin all of mine on the heal of my hand. If I notice any
wobble I check the insert first for alignment. Is quite easy to do.
Old 08-10-2004, 06:10 AM
Dominant Buck

I just nail a couple nails in one end of a board to make an X. Do the same thing about a foot and a half away in the board. Place an arrow on the X's and spin. Put a box or something up close to the arrow with a line drawn on it in front ot the point to see how much off the line the arrow wobbles.
Old 08-10-2004, 06:34 AM

Use the Arrow Inspector from Pine Ridge Archery. There are plenty of ways to check your shafts, broadheads, etc. but none of them show you the fine detail. You will only see the obvious wobbles. If you use the Arrow Inspector you see everything. I've used mine for about 3 years now...I love it. Here is the link:
Arrow Inspector
Old 08-10-2004, 01:17 PM
Dominant Buck

Let's see... I can pay $29 for this thing or use 3 cents worth of number 16 finishing nails. Hmmmmmmmm... decisions ...decisions... [8D]
Old 08-10-2004, 01:55 PM

I understand, but if they are not balanced perfectly your arrow will not fly perfectly. Don't you owe it to the animal? I am not a very picky person on everything, but I want to know the arrow is going to fly right. With my luck, the one bad arrow I have is going to be the one I shoot at a buck.

Just my opinion.
Old 08-10-2004, 02:09 PM

I'd do what David suggested or go ahead and fork over the $29 !! The money is well spent either way and will help eliminate a lot of frustration and hair pulling.........when trying to tune fixed blades !!
Old 08-11-2004, 05:02 PM
Fork Horn

I tried the "X" system with nails and it works very good. I through on a dial indicator just for giggles. The needle barely moved off of the zero mark which ends up being way less than one thousandth of an inch. I'm impressed! Low tech but works for me. Thanks David.