Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 how will shooting a doe affect..... >

how will shooting a doe affect.....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

how will shooting a doe affect.....

Old 08-09-2004, 02:08 PM

Default how will shooting a doe affect.....

i was wondering how shooting a doe would affect an area where you are trying to get a buck? I have heard some people say that they will not shoot any does before they shoot a buck mainly because the deer can then tell that something is up in that area and avoid it. i don't know if this is true or not and was curious as to what other people were thinking.
Old 08-09-2004, 02:11 PM

Default RE: how will shooting a doe affect.....

i think it does..well also think its common sense..u shoot a doe and ur affecting the chance of getting other deer to produce in that area..
Old 08-09-2004, 02:13 PM

I will not hesitate to shoot a doe for fear of not getting a shot at a buck. I shot the biggest buck of my life out of the same stand I had already shot a doe out of. The buck didn't seem to care until I arrowed him.
Old 08-09-2004, 02:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I will shoot does because it will lower the doe/buck ratio and bucks will look more . Giving me a better chance for the big one . I also have shot a good buck from the same stand that I shot a doe , the day before .
Old 08-09-2004, 02:37 PM

If it is a solo doe ok, but I don't like to shoot does out of a group of deer.
You just educated the rest of those deer to human danger in that area.
Old 08-09-2004, 02:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Some people say that they dont shoot a doe first is because you have to let the does pass to shoot a buck. Ill shoot mature does, and mature bucks only
Old 08-09-2004, 02:44 PM
Fork Horn

as far as im concerned deer cant count... at least all the deer that io have seen and shot. i wached as my grandfather shot a doe in front of a buck that he had been watching for months just walking around the area. we didnt realize he was there untill the doe dropped about 20 yards from the buck. but the very next day guess who walked under our stand... yup you guessed it.. that buck is to this day up in my familys cabin all 12 points of him and his girlfriends front legs are holding the bow that did em both in.
Old 08-09-2004, 02:51 PM
Fork Horn

I don't think it really makes a difference, last year I shot a doe and then shot a buck out of the same stand a week later, my brother shot a doe and an hour later shot a good buck from the same stand, 5 yrds from where the doe droped.
Old 08-09-2004, 03:07 PM

i've shot several deer only to shoot another one the next day as they stepped over the gut pile from the first ...i don't think it matters.
Old 08-09-2004, 03:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

It won't, shoot away take the opportunity that arise and makes you feel good. About the only time I hesitate on a single doe is if rut is on or close by and then indicators are present to how she is acting. I will not shoot a doe with fawns...my personal ethics no other reason. I have shot animals in a group and in a few minutes they come back or more happen on the scene. Death is natural to animals, they see it all the time not just during hunting season!

I try not to hunt the same location on following days, regardless if I harvest game or not. Wind direction and limiting scent/pressure are other keys to education.

Last fall we took 3 bears out of the same stand however they were spaced apart over a few weeks. If shooting an animal affects the odds then I haven't seen it, as this one of only a few examples shows.

Quick Reply: how will shooting a doe affect.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.