Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Advice on scent blocking gear? >

Advice on scent blocking gear?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Advice on scent blocking gear?

Old 08-09-2004, 11:04 AM

Default Advice on scent blocking gear?

I have been thinking about buying some scent blocker or scent-lok clothing. I never have too much of a problem with deer smelling me, but i don't want to have that problem at the wrong time. I was wondering if you guys could give me your opinions on this clothing. What is the best brand?

Another thing i was thinking of was just getting a scent blocker bag to keep my outer layer of hunting clothes and hat and mask ect. in this bag. Then i could walk part-way to my stand, open the bag, put the clothes on, and then on the way out of the woods, do the same. this would help me keep alarming scents off of my clothes, and it would be cheaper then a whole new scent blocker suit.

what do you think?
Old 08-09-2004, 12:01 PM

Default RE: Advice on scent blocking gear?

Your call if you want to buy it. My bro-in-law swears by it and even has special soap. Me? I think it's a waste of money. I have never had any problems with the scent of my clothes. I swear there are days I am tempted to hunt in my blue jeans just because I am too lazy to change out of them when hunting after work. Heck, I can count about 10 times where I relieved myself doing #1 from my stand and had successful hunts underneath my stand only hours later! Personally, it's up to you, but I always caution that there is a lot of marketing going on out there and you don't have to waste your hard earned money.

Your call. Do what you want and it's always neat buying new equipment and gear..so i hear ya...it's just I would rather spend my money on a better arrow or new knives, etc.
Old 08-09-2004, 12:07 PM

Watch out for the worms, You've opened the proverbial "Pandoras' Box".

Some use it and swear by it, Some will tell you it's the biggest waste of money you can spend. If you hunt the wind now and I quote

I never have too much of a problem with deer smelling me
why shell out over a hundred dollars for something that may provide no benefit? If you believe this will help you and you've got the doe go ahead and pick up a set. If you're expecting the deer to come running, Save the loot.

That's my take. Hope it's helpful
Old 08-09-2004, 12:24 PM
Fork Horn

i agree with Adams, this is gonna be a dead issue pretty soon. just start reading up on hunting the wind. youll be much more proficient doing that than buying the scent lok stuff. there was a nice discussion earlier this month about that.

in my opinion they dont really help much just make sure you spray your cloths with some sort of bakingsoda and water solution to obsorb some of the smell.
Old 08-09-2004, 12:39 PM

I not a real believer in its effectiveness, but I admit that I own a set and use it regularly. To me, it's one of those things you buy if you have $150 burning a hole in your pocket and already have the other essentials for your setup. I use it along with the soap/shampoo/scent killer spray. I think the detergents/soaps/sprays are more important than the carbon. I use the carbon clothes because I paid good money for them and if nothing else, they provide another layer to keep me warm. That said, I think it has little impact on your "windability". I speak from experience.
Old 08-09-2004, 12:57 PM

save the cash - use the wind!
Old 08-09-2004, 02:24 PM

thanks for you opinions. that is kinda what I was thinking. I will save the money and use it for a new gun or rangefinder or something.