Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Help!

Old 08-09-2004, 12:54 AM

Default Help!

I have been putting my trail cam out all summer and have received zero pictures in return. Im putting the camera on path which I know and have witnessed being used by does and decent bucks. But at the end of every week i go back to check the camera and nothing! a goose egg!!! This is frustrating the hell out of me, take today for instance when i checked it i kicked up a nice 8 point bedding 12-15 yards from the damn thing and NOTHING!! Does anyone have any suggestions and what I should do and how i should try to get something to set the thing off. I know it works because it has taken my pic acouple times while checking it. Someone anyone help me out on this one.
Old 08-09-2004, 02:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Help!

play with it

Set it up and then walk by it. If it takes your picture .. then walk by again but at a futher range. Then again at a different angle ( crawl by it on all fours) then run by it.

You'll look like an idot doing all this, but you'll get a feel for what will make it go off.

And then you can set it up accordingly hopefully
Old 08-09-2004, 09:28 AM

How high up the tree are you putting it and haw far back from the trail?

I don't get a ton of pics as I don't set up over bait. The trails I set up on are heavily used but on occasion I also get blanked. I'd suggest trying a diffrent location off the same trail. I found when I first set up my cam the deer were walking behind the cam because I set up about 30 feet fram a trail junction. As luck would have it I choose the wrong trail.
Old 08-09-2004, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I put mine up so the camera lens is exactly four feet from the ground and I set it up no further than ten feet from the trail. The sensors aren't very strong , if I set it up at even fifteen feet from the trail I was getting pics of half the deer. Once I moved it closer I was getting everything that walked by. I've also had better pics by aiming my camera down the trail instead of aiming it from the side. I also changed my setting to take two pics every minute instead of one and got better looks at deer as after the first pic flashed they would turn their heads to investigate and the second pic would get a better shot.

Hope this helps!
Old 08-09-2004, 12:36 PM

I have the camera at an intersection of 4 diffrent paths. I have it about 5 yards off the trail and about 5 feet high. All four of the patch combine to one and i have the cam pointed where all the trails come to one.
Old 08-09-2004, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Try lowering it to four feet from the ground and moving it closer. 5yds = 15ft which as I said I noticed the sensor wasn't very strong at that distance. Try a minimum of 10 ft away from the trail and when you set it up put the switch to the test position and walk by the trail to see if it works.