Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How easy do you give up? >

How easy do you give up?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How easy do you give up?

Old 08-06-2004, 04:52 PM
Fork Horn

Default How easy do you give up?

I found some land that I really wanted to hunt this year. Through a "friend of a friend" I found out who owned the land. I called her to see if she let anyone bowhunt on her land. I got a straight out "No" because she said she's had problems with people hunting it without permission and people not taking care of the land. I didn't pursue it very hard after that, I asked if there was any way she might change her mind and she said instead of deciding who to let on and who to turn down, it's easier to turn everyone down. Would you guys have pursued this harder, or do you think I did the right thing in giving up easy? This is the first year I've been talking to land owners so I'm really not sure if I should have tried a little harder. What do you guys think?
Old 08-06-2004, 04:59 PM

Default RE: How easy do you give up?

I would offer to help keep those bad hunters off of her land, help out around the farm and what not. If she still says no, than come back next year, and the next. I have done this, and it sometimes works out, it never hurts to keep being polite. If you really want to hunt there, I would try to get some hunter/landowner relationship going there. Good Luck
Old 08-06-2004, 05:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Send her a card and thank her for her time. Tell her you understand her position and that you are also angry at how so many people who call themselves "hunters" disrespect the land and landowner's rights. Assure her that she could count on your help, as Jbra suggested, in return for being able to hunt. Maybe even send some flowers with the card.

Maybe seeing you're ready, willing and able to go the extra mile might do the trick. BUT, you'd better make darn sure you follow thru and keep your word. Don't lie to the lady or you deserve every bit of her distrust and disrespect... not to mention ruining any chance for anyone else to hunt that land.

Good luck.
Old 08-06-2004, 05:50 PM
Fork Horn

I Would have! You need her to know that your on her side. I would have offered to post it for her. Its not like a straight forward no! Shes more uncertain so its easier to say no to all. Give her a sob story. You need to touch her in the heart and your in dude!

My most common rejection goes like this.... No because their son or grandson hunts the property! I've heard that one too many times. That means no way!

Edit: Rule #1 Never call. Go ask in person! Unless the person knows you.
Old 08-06-2004, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I second Arthur's position. We took a lady (widow) a card and a plant and told her that if she ever needed help with cattle... anything she could call us. about 2 weeks later she called and asked us to help fix a side of her barn so we did. After that she gave us a key and told us we didn't even have to ask her.
Old 08-06-2004, 06:34 PM
Fork Horn

That might not be a bad idea to send her a card or something. Calling her was not my first choice but I'm not sure where she actually lives, she has a couple different homes I guess, and there is no address in the phone book. It doesn't sound like anyone has hunted the land for quite some time, so I'm not the only person she has turned away. I really would like to get permission though...I found out today that the guy that owns land across the road from her shoots a 150"+ deer each year. Definitely some prime whitetail land!!!!
Old 08-06-2004, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

If u do something for her she might feel obligated to do something for you.......its just human nature to feel that way, you just have to sell yourself to her and let her know that you will take of the place and her if she needs anything...DONT GIVE UP!! Most people say NO because they dont K.N.O.W. enough about you its all about sales baby,
A.B.C. ALWAYS BE CLOSING!
Old 08-06-2004, 07:15 PM

I WORK WITH GUY WHO OWNS LAND POSTED TO BE AT THAT!! I MUST TO HAVE TO ASK HIM 3 TIMES ,BUT WHEN I TOLD I WOULD HELP HIM AROUND HIS PLACE HE SAID MYBE WE CAN WORK SOMTHING OUT.NOW I HUNT THEIR EVERY YEAR AND WE BECAME GOOD FRIENDS
Old 08-06-2004, 07:27 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

Send her a card and thank her for her time. Tell her you understand her position and that you are also angry at how so many people who call themselves "hunters" disrespect the land and landowner's rights. Assure her that she could count on your help, as Jbra suggested, in return for being able to hunt. Maybe even send some flowers with the card.

Maybe seeing you're ready, willing and able to go the extra mile might do the trick. BUT, you'd better make darn sure you follow thru and keep your word. Don't lie to the lady or you deserve every bit of her distrust and disrespect... not to mention ruining any chance for anyone else to hunt that land.

Good luck.
I couldn't agree more .
This is how I go about it , and while I hear "No" more than "Yes" I get to hunt more than not . It's all about building the relationship , you can't underestimate that .
Old 08-06-2004, 09:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

These guys are giving great ideas......be nice, offer any help keeping people off the land, or any other angle you can come up with. It may take time, go back each year and smile and ask agian. Right now I have plenty of great spots to hunt, but each year I work on a few more because it can change at an instance. Many people I've been revisiting up to 5 years and still get a "no" but I can tell I'm on the verge of getting permisson. They smile when they see me and actually strike up converstions. I have gotten permission several times after 2 or 3 years of asking. If they hunt or have relatives hunting often they'll grant permission for after the gun season. A couple spots I hunt only does, and others trophy bucks only....it depends on what the landowners will go with.

Keep at it and Good Luck!