Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Champion Bow Co. shut down? >

Champion Bow Co. shut down?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Champion Bow Co. shut down?

Old 08-06-2004, 05:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Champion Bows????

This is old news

ArcheryTalk had about a bazillion posts re: it a week or two ago.

I'm not w/BowTech anymore so I don't know if they are involved with the suit or not. But if I understand the patent correctly, it's going to affect alot of other folks too (if they have not been paying royalties)..basically anyone who uses a modular single cam...

1) PSE
2) Parker
3) Martin
4) Renegade
5) Jennings/Escalade
6) Alpine
7) CSS
8) Diamond
9) Pearson/McPherson

etc. etc...

Mathews has never used a modular system..but what about folks who did at one time but do not now? Hoyt is one (Indy cam from 1997)..IIRC Merlin's single had modules...Guess it depends on when the patent was granted...

The reason Champion folded (from what I've gathered) was they simply ignored the suit....uhm..DUH...you don't do that! So they got slammed without even putting up a defense...

You can be sure that if they are brought into the fold, big companies like PSE, BowTech, Parker, etc are going to defend themselves...

As for being tight-lipped..of course people are...this is BIG business...and there are legalities involved. Even people like Staff shooters are bound by a Non-Disclosure Agreement of some sort, and thats assuming they know anything in the first place, which they probably do not. So most of what consumers hear on message boards and at their dealers is speculation, half-truth, rumor, or flat-out Bull$hit.

And you folks would not believe how many lawsuits come and go in this industry and most folks never hear a thing about them...There is a bow company or two who make a regular practice of it...they sue everyone..for everything...all the time.

Big business....lotsa $ at stake...and everyone wants a chunk of it...
Old 08-06-2004, 06:11 AM

ORIGINAL: BOWFANATIC

Doesn't Mathews and BowTech use designs that are copied from Martin and other bow manufacturers, but claim they design whatever and are the only manufacturer that has their design?
The only design that I can think of off hand is Mathews harmonic dampeners. Martin came out with VEB (vibration escape modules) in 95. But then again a deal could have been swung to use the solo cam technology.

Or...by using the same principle but changing the design allows for a legal loophole.

I thought they copied the roller cable slide from Martin as well.

I don't know for sure..........and truely couldn't care less.

So, Champion got sued or everyone is getting sued??

I have a local crusty old veteran who runs a shop stocked mostly by Champion bows...........wonder what line he will carry now?
Old 08-06-2004, 06:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm just amazed that they let things run on like they have for so many years before they finally decided to enforce the patent. Seems to me like that could give the other manufacturers the legal grounds to give the patent holder the ol' Heinz-Kerry 'stuff it'.
Old 08-09-2004, 08:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yesterday a friend of mine went to a shop and bought a new Champion Liberty and he got a great deal on it.He told me that the shop owner told him that Champion has already been sold to another Bow company that we all know well D----- can anyone figure out who this is ? Does anyone else know of this sale of Champion.

nubo