Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Did anyone see....... >

Did anyone see.......

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Did anyone see.......

Old 08-04-2004, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Did anyone see.......

Did anyone see the knight and Hale show last night? They had a guy hunting the Dec. muzzleloader season. He was using the code bleu standing estrous. A couple of bucks came in following some does that had just come through. But they branched off and followed the drag line instead of the real does. One of the bucks even started up the split that the real does took and then back tracked and game back down the scent line. I admit I have laughed at the concept of standing estrous, made fun it, yadda yadda but what I saw last night on video has got me thinking maybe I was a little to close minded. I don't know. I am still not going to buy it for $37.50 but I swear I think I saw it work last night. Did anyone else see the show? What was your impression?
Old 08-04-2004, 10:12 AM

Default RE: Did anyone see.......

Yeah I saw that on Tuesday night pursuits. That buck came in on a string. I preordered some of the from Cabelas.
Old 08-04-2004, 10:33 AM
Typical Buck

It sounds good, but for $37.50? If it works that good, I guess it would be worth it.
Old 08-04-2004, 10:51 AM

You can do anything with video, who knows. I watched the guy leave the drag and he was leaving a lot of his own scent too. Touching grass and cedar trees, I doubt a buck would ignore that scent in pursuit of some estrous scent.

I'll admit, it did look convincing.
Old 08-04-2004, 11:15 AM
Fork Horn

They made it look so easy. They sure made me want to waste my money of some. I have used WS Golden Estrus that stuff is great. If this Standing is any better than that they will sure get my money.
Old 08-04-2004, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Solax,

I thought he was leaving a lot of scent of his own also. But the bucks were obviously responding to scent. You could tell the way the one back tracked and how they were using their nose scent checking etc. But i also thought it could have been some editing involved and maybe the bucks weren't right behind the other does etc. But it still seemed like they were smelling something and going to it. I personally have never had scent work for me and never even seen a show where scent was used that I felt like I could attribute the success of the hunt to the scent, at least i saw no visible evedence whether it existed or not. But in this case it really seemed like the deer were coming to some kind of scent. I dunno. I am still not buying any of it. I have a hard enough time paying $7 for a bottle[:'(]
Old 08-04-2004, 11:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: silentassassin

But in this case it really seemed like the deer were coming to some kind of scent.
Silent...it's called "pet a pet" scent, and it works everytime in pens... on video [8D]
Old 08-04-2004, 12:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

I saw the show too. You never know how the editing goes, so seeing things on tv isn't always exactly how it worked out, very possible it happened as they showed it. I have had some instances with scents where I have seen bucks change thier line when they picked it up. It can and does work, in the right situation. I'll never pay $37 a bottle for a scent.
Old 08-04-2004, 02:55 PM

i used scents the year before last in a spot that is no longer available to me that had no hunting pressure before me.

early season i put out some tarsal gland scent using a scent bomb hanging about chest level off a tree branch. about 15 minutes later a doe came in on a trot and went right to the tree and sniffed the bottle, i was hunting out of a make shift ground blind and got busted on the draw, didn't expect her to come in so quick.

about 3 weeks later the rut was on and i used another scent bomb from the same tree branch with estrous scent. went to my ground blind and was getting set up, about 5 minutes from when i opened the scent, and a nice 3x3 came in on a trot and put his nose on the frekin scent bomb and was trying to snort it ...i got busted on the draw again.

the next week i used the same setup with estrous scent again, set all up then put the scent out. nothing ended up comming in, however later that evening had a nice 4x4 walk by behind my blind (where i couldn't get a shot due to the thick brush) and he didn't pay any attention to the scent at all.

last season i used some scents in highly hunted areas with no luck. i think it's hit or miss, and if you spook them at the scent i think they remember and won't come back.
Old 08-04-2004, 03:07 PM

For $37 bucks that thing better bring in the deer and skin it when I am done shooting it. If some one want's to pay for it I could send you a video of me flying with no wings and say all I had to do to fly was eat a plastic airplane. Deception of T.V.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.