HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Did anyone see.......
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2004, 02:55 PM
jroot

Default RE: Did anyone see.......

i used scents the year before last in a spot that is no longer available to me that had no hunting pressure before me.

early season i put out some tarsal gland scent using a scent bomb hanging about chest level off a tree branch. about 15 minutes later a doe came in on a trot and went right to the tree and sniffed the bottle, i was hunting out of a make shift ground blind and got busted on the draw, didn't expect her to come in so quick.

about 3 weeks later the rut was on and i used another scent bomb from the same tree branch with estrous scent. went to my ground blind and was getting set up, about 5 minutes from when i opened the scent, and a nice 3x3 came in on a trot and put his nose on the frekin scent bomb and was trying to snort it ...i got busted on the draw again.

the next week i used the same setup with estrous scent again, set all up then put the scent out. nothing ended up comming in, however later that evening had a nice 4x4 walk by behind my blind (where i couldn't get a shot due to the thick brush) and he didn't pay any attention to the scent at all.

last season i used some scents in highly hunted areas with no luck. i think it's hit or miss, and if you spook them at the scent i think they remember and won't come back.