Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Deer and Carbon Dioxide >

Deer and Carbon Dioxide

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Deer and Carbon Dioxide

Old 08-03-2004, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Deer and Carbon Dioxide

I read somewhere recently (maybe here I can't remember) about a mosquito control tip.

Buy 1 pound of dry ice and place it in the corner of your yard to keep the mosquitoes away from you while you're outside. The dry ice is all carbon dioxide and is supposed to last in summer heat up to 4 hours. The mosquitoes are drawn to CO2, especially high levels - that is how they find hosts (or camo'd guys in trees.)

So I'm wondering, how would a deer react to a small block of dry ice? Humans cannot detect the odor of CO2, but if a mosquito can, could a deer??? Might be worth a try this October. 1lb of dry ice runs about $10.
Old 08-03-2004, 04:59 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Deer and Carbon Dioxide

Leave that same dry ice in an ordinary $1.50 foam cooler with the lid on and it will last about 50-70% longer , especially in shade .

CO2 isn't the only thing skeeters home in on , the plume of gas just extends their sensory range . They also key on body heat , and sweat electrolytes . Some research theorizes that they may even be able to detect our electromagnetic field , but it hasn't been conclusively proven . I'd stick with an unscented repellent with plenty of DEET for now ... [&:]

A deer may smell some elements of your breath better than others , but it isn't likely with CO2 since it has no odor . That sausage , egg , and cheese biscuit you had earlier is another matter...
Old 08-03-2004, 08:24 PM

good ? give it a try & see what happends if it works then it works that bout all i can say
Old 08-05-2004, 07:52 AM
Fork Horn

i will have to try that some time- thermacell works well too