Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Should I go all out >

Should I go all out

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Should I go all out

Old 08-03-2004, 07:59 AM

Default Should I go all out

I have some money saved up for hunting season. I saw a 3d deer target at Wal-Mart yesterday. Should I buy it for $67 or get a $130-$180 target off the internet? I believe in buying good products, but I don't really want to spring up $100 extra dollars for something I would use every now and then. I would probably shoot 100 shoots into it a week. This is nothing compared to the 2 hours of shooting I do everyday after school. What should I do?
Old 08-03-2004, 08:12 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Should I go all out

I got 5 years out of my mckenzie before it got too trashed last week, i just orderd one from cabelas for $70. I guess it just matters how long you want it too last IMO. If your like me WHEN i have a little extra money i usually go for the more costly items, maybe thats why i'm now broke as a joke [8D]
Old 08-03-2004, 08:37 AM

The nice thing about the Wal Mart targets, and most others for that matter, is the replaceable core. Cause I tell ya, they don't take long to get shot all to heck. I got a Mckenzie Tuff Buck this year, and wasn't happy at all. IMHO, you really get what ya pay for as far as this area goes.
Old 08-03-2004, 09:30 AM

I've got a 90$ mckenzie aim rite 3-d deer. IMO they all do the same thing. If the vitals are replaceable you'de be doing good to pick one up for $67.00.

Just think of what else you could spend the $100.00 on.

For the extra c note you may get a target that pulls arrows better. My aim rite can be tought to get the arrows out of but they will both do basically the same thing, Give you a life like target with vital area outlined.
Old 08-03-2004, 10:52 AM

I have been shooting into a $70 MacKEnzie for 3 years and it is holding up very well. I would spend the extra 100 on other stuff.
Old 08-05-2004, 07:56 AM
Fork Horn

i would go with the mckenzie they are great targets and I love shooting at 3d targets its so much better than shooting a a block for me
Old 08-05-2004, 09:39 AM

Another All-Around 3D target you may want to consider is the Glendel buck. If you haven't seen them, take a look before you buy. They are approximately $179.00 but well worth it in my opinion.

I've had mine for 1 1/2 years (outdoor), shot god knows how many arrows through it (broadheads and field points) and just replaced 1/2 of the layered foam yesterday. It has held up incredible to the elements campared to my McKenzie.
Old 08-05-2004, 09:46 AM
Dominant Buck

A word of caution about buying a 3-D from Wally World:

I bought a Blue Ridge 3-D from them last year , this year they no longer carry the replacement core , so I'll have to improvise until I can find another one somewhere else . [&o] Get one from Cabela's , they never let you down .
Old 08-05-2004, 09:53 AM

I've been using a hay bail with a piece of thick card board in front of it. If it wears out I switch the bail or card board. It costs me about $10.
Call me cheap but hey that's a lot of gass money. Any corners I can cut I do. IMHO it's all give and take. Do you want the fancy fake deer to aim at or can you use the money elsewhere? Just the same your arrows are going to fly into whatever your aiming at :Cardboard, fake deer, practice block. Just my humble opinion.