Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Proshop blues.

Old 07-30-2004, 09:28 PM

Default Proshop blues.

I recently visited my local Bowshop and had my arrow speed checked out. I was curious since there had been quite a bit of chat on the fourm about KE and such. It shot at 268. I was bummed a bit and asked if there was anything I could do to speed it up. He looked at my bow like it was a piece of s*#t and said "well if you hadn't looked just at the price and bought a better bow..." I couldn't believe it. This is the same guy who sold me the bow 5 months ago. I know its not the top of the line Bowtech but I have been proud to own it. It's very very light and fairly quiet. Not to mention extremely consistent. But he really made me wonder...should I have spent an extra $200. The thing is I'm a teacher and my wife stays home with my son so I don't have a lot of money to spend. I worked straight through a christmas break to give myself this present. I guess I'm just ranting but he made me soooo mad!!!

Old 07-30-2004, 09:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Proshop blues.

Actually 268 seems pretty good. What speed were you hoping for? What's on your string...everything including the kind of peepsight. Last are your arrows feathers or vanes and big. Do you know your full arrow weight?

Thanks!
Old 07-30-2004, 09:35 PM

Looks like a new shop is in the near future for you. It would be for me. 268? That's plenty fast enough. If your bow is what you want in a bow, then heck....that's good enough. Main thing is, can you shoot well with it and are you confident with it in your hand?? If those two things are correct, then I have to say you have a great bow. Should you have spent the extra $200? Naww...there's something new comes out every dang year. Somthing new, something better. Unless you have an unlimited supply of $$, there isn't anyway to have the latest or the greatest all the time.

Heck look at what the trad guys shoot with.....they seem to kill a deer every once and a while. Just kidding guys.
Old 07-30-2004, 09:40 PM

I have a truglow pep sight tied across to the cable for alignment, string leaches, and I'm getting rid of a string loop. Gold tip 5575 arrows 29" long with 4" feathers and 100grn field point. I was hoping to at least be 280.
Old 07-30-2004, 09:46 PM

My question for you is, do you like your bow, and do you shot it well, and most of all, do you have confidence in it?? If you answered yes to these, then dont worry what anyone else thinks, and continue with what you have. Weve got a shop like that where i live and hes really pissing people off including me, to him if its not a Matthews its junk, dont get me wrong, I love Matthews bows and have owned several different and would have bought another last fall if it wasnt for his attitude. Dont let anyone put your stuff down, if it fits you and your pocketbook, and you like it thats all that matters.
Old 07-30-2004, 09:49 PM

By the way you also mentioned speed, 268 is plenty fast for a hunting bow, everyone is so caught up in super speed, but even with a faster bow I usually try to keep my speed around the 270 mark. I worry way more about noise, no matter how fast your bow is, if a deer hears it hes going to jump the string, and if he dont hear it, it dont matter how slow your bow is, hell be right there.
Old 07-30-2004, 09:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well Stalker! I think 268 fps is plenty fast enough to do the job.If you really like this bow then why care what anyone think's .As for the comment from your bowshop I'd be pretty ticked off because if he was the one that sold it to me and now he's running it down that speaks volumes about his business qualities.But like most of the people here they all have budget's and it's all about getting the best bang for your buck ,if this bow was what you thought was the best choice for you then the H--- with everyone.You need to be the one who's satisfied .There's lot's of little thing's you can do to pick up a few FPS ,but do you really need it ? Sure you could have spent a couple extra hundred dollars on an upgraded bow but I'd wait and in a couple of season's and your still into bowhunting then move up to the next level.

nubo
Old 07-30-2004, 09:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can remember when bows were breaking the 200fps barrier, and people were happy to be there. Folks don't shoot any better now than they did then.

Speed won't compensate for inaccuracy. 268 is blazing in my book. You're fine.

By the way...I'm a teacher, too.
Old 07-30-2004, 10:02 PM
c j
Typical Buck

Screw that shop. Why give someone with an attitude like that any more business? It sounds to me like you have a pretty nice bow. (Gotta love BowTech! ) Even if you had a $50 ten-year-old Bear, he's way out of line to put it down. You may have to drive a little farther, but I'll bet there's another shop around there whose owner ISN'T a jerk.
Old 07-30-2004, 10:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Stalker22.........You could maybe get 10 fps mor out of it by putting in a small peep with no alignment tube (fletcher hunter peep), get rid of the string loop and make sure you have only one nock-set. You could also drop to a 90 grain head. HHHHMMMMM, all this for another 10 maybe 12 fps........NOT WORTH IT!

Shoot this bow and when it time for new one maybe you'll want a faster rig...fine...but even with your draw length 290-295 for a hunting set-up isn't that much faster!

Have a great season!

Quick Reply: Proshop blues.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.