Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Homemade scent cover >

Homemade scent cover

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Homemade scent cover

Old 07-28-2004, 06:06 AM

Default Homemade scent cover

Anyone make their own scent cover?

Last year, I made some from Distilled water, Hydrogen Peroxide, Baking soda, and a little scent removal shampoo. Does anyone know the correct amount to mix these ingrediants? I had picked up I gallon of Distilled water, 2 quarts of HP, 1 box of baking soda, and I already have the shampoo, from Wal Mart.

Please let me know since I can remember how much of each should be used.

Thanks,

Tom
Old 07-28-2004, 11:13 AM

Default RE: Homemade scent cover

i mix a one part gasoline and one part dodge ram, with one part trip to wal mart for some scent killer spray. it probably doesnt cost any more and i tiwll be guaranteed to be the right mixture every time.
Old 07-28-2004, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tomster, I'm not sure what the correct mixture is so sorry I can't help you there but I have another idea for scent elimination. About a week before the season opens I take all of my clothes and stuff them in a trash bag. I then put in some leaves and a bunch of pine tree branches and let it sit on my porch until the season opens. Come opening day I am ready to go.
Old 07-28-2004, 12:20 PM

I have read several times were people have boiled pine branches and leaves for about 30 minutes then put it in a spray bottle. I have also heard of people who have put baking soda in a spray bottle of water and that works too. So i was wondering if you boiled the pine branches and stuff. And then put it in a bottle almost full. And then put baking soda at the top. Just pretty much combining the ideas....has anyone tried it?
Old 07-28-2004, 12:25 PM

How do we know the home-mix works? I don't think putting dilluted scent killing shampoo on your clothes is going to eliminate scent. That is not the intended purpose. I agree with fitpays. Why not just buy the real stuff. It's not THAT expensive.
Old 07-28-2004, 12:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

if you boiled the pine branches and stuff. And then put it in a bottle almost full. And then put baking soda at the top. Just pretty much combining the ideas....has anyone tried it?
The baking soda would eliminate the pine scent!
Old 07-28-2004, 12:47 PM

When I was a kid I made a pine cover scent but taking abunch of pine needles and puting them in the blender with a little water and blending the crap out of them. Then I strained off the liquid and put it in a spray bottle, worked good as a cover scent. Of course my mother was rather upset that she now had a pine fresh blender and needless to say that little science project was never performed again.
Old 07-28-2004, 12:47 PM

(1 gallon) of Hydrogen Peroxide (3%)

3.758 litres (1 gallon) of distilled water. (DO NOT USE TAP WATER!)
473.184 ml (2 cups) of baking soda.
236.592 ml (8 oz) (2 cap fulls) of Sport Wash or unscented soap.
Old 07-28-2004, 12:49 PM
Fork Horn

I used pine-sol when I was a kid.I would put it in a spray bottle diluted with water and always killed my buck and lots of coyote and fox.The pine-sol is hard on your hunting clothes though.Makes them fade fast.But it works.I now use autum scent killer.I like the earthy scent.
Elkshed
Old 07-28-2004, 01:09 PM

Thanks Double Creek,

What I did last year, is I cut your ingrediants in half. 2 quarts Hydrogen Peroxide, 2 quarts distilled water, 1 cup of baking soda, 1 cap of unsented soap. Mixed the ingrediants and place the mixture back into gallon container of distilled water. The only thing I did not like about this mixture was that anything I sprayed, it left a white film from the baking soda. Other than that, it worked fine and I will make it again.

Thanks,

Tom

Quick Reply: Homemade scent cover

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.