Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Target shooting in tree stand >

Target shooting in tree stand

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Target shooting in tree stand

Old 07-27-2004, 06:08 PM
Fork Horn

Default Target shooting in tree stand

Just wondering how critical it is to practice shooting out of your tree stand. Do you mostly on from the ground or the stand? I have no good trees to use so I can't shoot from elevated stands. What else can I do/
Old 07-27-2004, 06:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Target shooting in tree stand

I would not go into the woods without shooting from a tree. But almost all my hunting is done that way, so I pretty much have to practice from a tree. roofs, steep hillsides, 2nd story windows, sometimes it takes some creativity.
Old 07-27-2004, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

My point of impact doesn't seem to be much different out of a tree..but I still hang a stand and shoot. I mostly do it in the weeks before season and during the season to stay sharp.

I shoot from the ground year round, and like I said, it doesn't seem to matter considerably to me. Some can't say the same.
Old 07-27-2004, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

When I was younger I would get up on the roof of my parents' house and shoot(we grew up on a good size piece of property). For the last few years my Dad, Brothers and I have been shooting out of an elevated platform that we constructed. I think it is of little value to practice on the flat ground and when season starts to get up 18'-20' in a tree. Your sights will not be accurate because of the downward angle and your form will be cosiderably different. We built it out of wolmanized lumber and it is more like a deck in the sky than a treestand.It has railings and bow racks and a tube on a rope that we hoist our arrows up with. I'm sure that if you find a friend who is in construction that it should not be too difficult. Think along the lines of a freestanding scaffold. Use an aluminum ladder for access.
Old 07-27-2004, 06:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I allways practice from both tree and ground .I know of several guys that practice out of the kids tree house . I sank a 4x6 treated pole 4 ' in the griund with concreet ,next ot the gardge ,a stand hanges from it year round
Old 07-27-2004, 06:42 PM
Fork Horn

It definately helps me, i can get a better feel for things up in the stand for when the moment of truth happens. Maybe try one the techniques mentioned above. good luck
Old 07-27-2004, 07:18 PM

I shoot from the tree in the last month before the season. I tie a tube quiver to a rope and the kids fetch my arrows and I pull them back up to the stand. It seems to help me. The angle, concentraring on form(bending at the waist). Sharkey
Old 07-28-2004, 06:56 AM

I practice from a tree a few times prior to the season but 95% of my shooting is done from the ground.
Old 07-28-2004, 07:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

I practice in my backyard a lot too. 90% of the time, I just shoot from the ground anywhere from 20 to 30 yards. I have taken a ladder and climbed up on my back porch roof and shot a few arrows from that vantage point.

Remember high school algebra and geometry? Remember the "Pythagorum theory" (sp)? {Remember A2 + B2 = C2?} Well, it is true.... The sights will be slightly off when shooting from 15 feet up on a roof, versus shooting from ground level.

Distance: 30 yards/90 feet {A2 = 8100}
Height: 15 feet {B2 = 225}
-----------------------------------------------
Hypoteneuse: 91.24 feet/30.41 yards {C2 = 8325}

Butch A.
Old 07-28-2004, 07:47 AM

Almost all of my practice is done in out of stands. I also make sure to practice from all of the portables I plan on using. During the spring and early summer I might shoot from the ground, just to stay in shape but come late July I am always up a tree. A piece of PVC pipe capped on one endwith a rope attached makes a great arrow tube.

Quick Reply: Target shooting in tree stand

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.