Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Talked to the farmer next door... >

Talked to the farmer next door...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Talked to the farmer next door...

Old 07-27-2004, 02:08 PM

Default Talked to the farmer next door...

Just got done talking to the farmer next door to my hunting property and he said that he as been watching 2 big bucks every night in the soybean field. He says that their antlers are at least 4-6 inches past their ears and a good 6-8 inchs above their ears!!!!

I am pumped, October 1st can't get here fast enough. Hopefully I'll have pictures to show
Old 07-27-2004, 02:20 PM

Default RE: Talked to the farmer next door...

Farmers can be the best tool for trophy hunting. The know their land and where the see the deer. Did he provider specifics like where the deer enter the fields from?
Old 07-27-2004, 03:37 PM

I have also known farmers to be the biggest exagerators in the world to. Like 6-8 inches past there ears. Who's ears the bucks or the farmers. I hope not in your case good luck on those deer.
Old 07-27-2004, 04:45 PM

Yea, he did have some good info, when he has been seeing the deer and where they come out from. Also, he has proved to be a very good source of info in years past, so I believe him.
Old 07-27-2004, 07:02 PM

Unless the farmer is a hunter, i tend not to put a whole lot of trust in them. The guy who farms our 750 tells us where the deer have been coming out of, and if any bucks are using it. he doenst really tell us the size a whole lot. one guy i put alot of trust in is our bulldozer operator, who saw a record class buck running does while making some roads on our 640 in iowa. said the thing was 25-27" inside, high, and thick, a big 10 point. he is an avid deer hunter and has killed some monster bucks, so i believe him. he also had the deer 15 yards from the Cat for 5 minutes so i dont think he could misjudge it by that much. said the damn thing stopped and watchedh im, looked at the doe, looked back at the Cat, looked at the doe, all this for 5 mins. now, if they could just do this when i have a gun in my hand...

slayer
Old 07-27-2004, 11:16 PM

This one farm ive hunted for about 5 years now buts up to some prime whitetail habitat. Im the only one who hunts my property, and the neighboring property gets NO pressure. He wont let anyone hunt, and he doesnt hunt. Well, this year, the guy sold it to this real nice fellow. Been talkin to him the past 4 months, and yesterday after about an hour of BSin, he said that if i shared meat and taught him how to bowhunt, hed let me bowhunt. I was so happy! Ive wanted to hunt this place for years, and i now i get the chance. He also said hes been seein some monsters.
Old 07-28-2004, 02:52 AM

That's great and I wish you the best of luck. However, just to be sure he's telling you the truth, if they're coming out every night, get a camera and sit by the Soybean field. A home video of your own will prove they are there.