Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Flashlights to deer stand >

Flashlights to deer stand

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Flashlights to deer stand

Old 07-23-2004, 07:57 AM

Default Flashlights to deer stand

I used to walk to my bow and gun stand with out a flashlight before daylight. Then one morning walking fast to get in my stand before daylight in bow season I got with in 20 yards of my stand on my property. I just happen to look up to my stand and I caught someone drawing there bow. I yelled don't shoot it's a hunter he said he thought it was a deer coming in. After I gave him a piece of my mind for almost shooting me. I found out he lives down the road and he was 16 years old and just started bow hunting. I told him in not so nice of away You never shoot at any thing in the dark thats how peaple get killed and I hope he learn't a lesson and to ask permision to hunt someones property. I now run my flashlight at all times to my stands before daylight and evenings heading home. Do you other hunters use a flashlight.
Old 07-23-2004, 08:02 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Flashlights to deer stand

I use a green stream light intermittently on my way to the stand.

I think if I had the experenence you did, I might just pack in with a Q-Beam!
Old 07-23-2004, 08:04 AM

Yep, I use a light going and returning. You will actually spook less deer, because they can't tell what you are. Try it, it works!!
Old 07-23-2004, 08:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

The guy was in your stand on your property? I would have had him arrested for Tresspassing. Then I would have consulted with his parents about what he was about to do. If I didn't strangle him first.
Old 07-23-2004, 08:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Man that is one scary as hell story.

I used to use nothing going in, then a white light only as needed, now I use my red lens fox hunting light and leave it running the whole time.
Old 07-23-2004, 08:24 AM

I read a story about a guy who climbed down after his afternoon hunt and on his way out he decided to go check on some fresh scrapes he was seeing. Well he turned his light of as he entered the area and worked his way to the scrape he, then bent down real low so he could see/feel if it had been reworked. He then heard the unmistakeable sound of an alluminum arrows sliding across an arrow rest as it was being drawn, of course he jumped back and yelled and needless to say both of them were scared sh!tless.

ALWAYS use a light, it could very well save your life.
Old 07-23-2004, 08:30 AM

Walking to my stand last year through a pasture full of deer once I realized they were there I turned off my light. As soon as the light went out so did the deer. That was one boring morning. Since I have used the light all the way to the stand sometimes bumping deer, but they seem to run just out of range of the beam, and stand there. With their superior vision once the light goes out I think they spook a lot worse, because they are used to the shapes they commonnly see out in the woods. With the light they haven't a clue. Haven't you heard the expression "Like a deer in the headlights".
Old 07-23-2004, 08:37 AM

I caught someone drawing there bow
Obviously a novice. How did he plan to get a clean shot if he couldn't tell the diffrence between you and the deer[:'(]. I hope ou gave him a swift kick[:@]

I use a light because I can move quicker and make less noise when I can see where I'm going and what I'm stepping on.
Old 07-23-2004, 08:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Never USED to use a light. Now I have to go get something. I don't think I would want a regular flash light. Anybody got any suggestions about those small LED lights? Not some of the $50 ones. Something a little cheaper.

Damn that is a scary thought. I couldn't image getting hit with an arrow. Thank God you saw him.
Old 07-23-2004, 09:12 AM

wihunter,
I use one of those small LED lights. It works very good for getting to and from the stand and I used the same batteries ALL of last season, from Sept right through Jan. I picked mine up at Walmart, I thinit was like 15-16 dollars.

Quick Reply: Flashlights to deer stand

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.