Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Popping forearm, Do I need...? >

Popping forearm, Do I need...?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Popping forearm, Do I need...?

Old 07-21-2004, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Popping forearm, Do I need...?

Any time I've ever slapped my forearm I've noticed I had my wrist pushed in slightly (hold ur arm out straight like ur going to shake someones hand and bend your hand slightly backwards to see what I mean)
Old 07-21-2004, 08:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

I used to have that happen a few years back, the cure I found was shooting open handed with a wrist strap. Not only did the string slaps stop, but my groups tightened up because I removed the possible torquing cause by gripping the bow.
Old 07-21-2004, 08:19 AM
Fork Horn

Look i have seen many people hit their arms while shooting even with the correct draw length. check you draw length then check your grip. you should not be gripping the bow by clenching a fist. it should rest in the spot between your thumb and your index finger. with yourt hand just slightly turned from horizontal. do this actually in front of you when you read this make a fist (knucles pointed out away to the left for a right hander) then change it to my type of grip ( see pic ) watch your forearm move away from where the string would be try this it will be more accurate ( you cannot torque the bow) and you should not hit your arm

Old 07-25-2004, 10:29 AM

Your draw length could be to long .
Old 08-01-2004, 11:19 AM

update:

I was gripping the bow too much in the middle of the "pocket" of the thumb muscle, used yalls advice and moved it over to the right some putting it actually on the joint of the thumb...automatically cocks my forearm away from string and gives me a solid shot...awesome tips guys thanks a lot.
Old 08-03-2004, 12:27 PM
Fork Horn

I was having the same problem, until I read this thread. Thanks a bunch guys. I always had to wear an arm guard, however after reading this thread a couple weeks ago I changed my form and now shoot bare armed with no contact. I really appreciate everyones advice and opinions on this site.

Bowhuntt's picture above was a huge help. I had my wrist too far into the grip or in other words the grip rested in the middle of my palm. After seeing the illistration I corrected the grip problem and no longer have the problem. My groups have tightened up as well. I hit 4 out of 5 bulls 3" from 50 yards. I did this on three straight rounds.

Thanks again.
Old 08-03-2004, 07:37 PM

yea i had the same problem i was bending my arm in & i have a 29' draw length & the way i stopped from hittin my forearm was that i kept it bent out but with the bow straight at all times until i got me a wrist gaurd & that has helped alot........or go to the pro shop & let them make the call like the other posts has said. good luck
Old 08-03-2004, 08:41 PM

I had this problim whin i first started sooting in the erly 80s. The most simpul fik for m was to turn my elbow out, this will help you stabaliz the bow. It does take practis and soon will become second nacher. should not be to much conser as long as you practis, (YOU DO PRACTIS DONT YOU?)
Old 08-04-2004, 12:22 AM

(YOU DO PRACTIS DONT YOU?)
as we say in alabam WHY HELL YEA!
Old 08-04-2004, 05:25 PM

lol then ecuse the sarcasim!